Glenn Roeder R.I.P

Not spoken about much in Football circles, but Glen Roeder was a composed adroit centre back.He would often bring the ball out of defence,and find a pass.
This was at a time when Football in this country ,consisted of the No.5.,centre back just blocking,or tackling or hoofing the ball as far away from goal as possible..
Roeder was different.He had the talents and ability to Move the ball smoothly from the back...this was accentuated by the so called ' plastic pitch 'which qpr used to play under....
Roeder ,was such a good Footballer,he was able to pull off the what became known as the 'Roeder shuffle'.....a remarkable peice of skill for a centre back to do.....centre backs...back in the day..in England.just didnt do that .not at amatuer level.not at Professional level Football...
Paul Lake at centre back ,could have done it....thats how talented he was.
But for Roeder...as a Centre half..,back in the day.......
Respect.

Glenn Roeder was a classy, skilled centre half for Orient, QPR and Newcastle chiefly in a good career. He was a well respected manager of West Ham, Newcastle, Watford and Norwich as well as coaching under Glenn Hoddle for England. He always came across as thoroughly decent gentleman and very likeable, caring and kind. One touching story that I heard tonight was from one of his players at West Ham, Don Hutchison. When news came of Hutchinson's father being seriously injured in a car accident to the point that he was going to die, Roeder spoke by phone to Hutchison for the whole five hours of his trip up to Newcastle, to support him at a time of great distress. What a great man he was. It is so sad that he has passed away at just 65. Total respect for Glenn Roeder, as ever. May he rest in peace and his memory be a blessing.

Last edited:
Sad news this.

shame it didn’t work out for him when he managed us, he got some vile abuse. But it was players like Di Canio with their ego’s equally to blame for our downfall.

Roeder was always a gent I thought.

RIP

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.