Global Warming

twinkletoes said:
SWP's back said:
twinkletoes said:
Here is a list of some the UK's most prominent climate changedeniers and some of their other beliefs.

Lord Monckton, whose lecture asserting that manmade climate change is nonsense also maintains that he has invented a cure for HIV, multiple sclerosis, influenza and other incurable diseases.

Nils-Axel Morner, whose claims that sea levels are falling are widely cited in the Telegraph and elsewhere, also insists that he possesses paranormal abilities to find water and metal using a dowsing rod, and that he has discovered “the Hong Kong of the [ancient] Greeks” in Sweden.

Peter Taylor, the Daily Express’s favourite climate change denier, has claimed that a Masonic conspiracy has sent a “kook, a ninja freak, some throwback from past lives” to kill him, and insisted that plutonium may “possess healing powers, borne of Plutonic dimension, a preparation for rebirth, an awakener to higher consciousness”.

Christopher Booker, Daily Telegraph climate change denier, claims that asbestos is harmless.
Now that IS argumentum ad hominem.

I understand your argument but when these people are put forward to deny climate change then you can see they are on shaky ground.

They dont even warrant the public attention they get.
So you really believe asbestos is harmful and that Lord Monckton hasn't invented a cure for AIDS?

Hmmm.

SWP's back said:
twinkletoes said:
SWP's back said:
Now that IS argumentum ad hominem.

I understand your argument but when these people are put forward to deny climate change then you can see they are on shaky ground.

They dont even warrant the public attention they get.
So you really believe asbestos is harmful and that Lord Monckton hasn't invented a cure for AIDS?

Hmmm.

I also dont believe plutonium has healing powers.

i'm sure we as a species aren't helping the situation as we are by definition more like a virus than mammals. that said though its all cyclical, just look at what happened to the planet venus. must have been some heavy industry on that planet. or perhaps someone is making some serious money out of this "movement"

SWP's back said:
Damocles said:
Somebody from Hadley has just read this thread and sent me a message. One of his comments was:

"After reading their bunkum I'm thinking of McDonalds [lb] I'm obviously wasting my time. I would facepalm but I would do it so hard that I'd crack my skull"

He's a qualified climate scientist with a couple of published papers. He also told me off for using global warming in a post a few things back as he said that it was more reflected as climate change.
It's OK, I corrected that in my first post.

How accurate Damo, can temperature fluctuations be recorded past a few hundred thousand years? Is it to the nearest 100 years, 500, 1000? The point I am getting to is this, at present we monitor and record global temperatures incredibly accurately for each year and so see trends. Who is to say this rate of warming hasn't been seen many times before on the Earth.

Look lets say we get 1.5% warming the last hundred years, another 1% the next, 2% drop the hunddred after. If you take the 300 years as a whole, it would look like a 0.5% increase over a 300 year period. If historical temperatures for hundreds of thousands of years ago can only round to the nearest few hundred years, then surely it's possible that we are looking too closely at a small data set and worrying about nothing?

Spoken like a true scientist.

goatboy said:
i'm sure we as a species aren't helping the situation as we are by definition more like a virus than mammals. that said though its all cyclical, just look at what happened to the planet venus. must have been some heavy industry on that planet. or perhaps someone is making some serious money out of this "movement"

Forget venus, just look at what the aliens did to the moon.

BulgarianPride said:
goatboy said:

Forget venus, just look at what the aliens did to the moon.

Are we talking Wayne here?

stonerblue said:
Damocles said:
Somebody from Hadley has just read this thread and sent me a message. One of his comments was:

"After reading their bunkum I'm thinking of McDonalds [lb] I'm obviously wasting my time. I would facepalm but I would do it so hard that I'd crack my skull"

He's a qualified climate scientist with a couple of published papers. He also told me off for using global warming in a post a few things back as he said that it was more reflected as climate change.

That's what i was trying to ascertain a long way back. 'Global warming' is a bit of a catch-all term and also gives the 'deniers' a get out along the lines of, "Well it's not getting any warmer round here."

Yes we're polluting the atmosphere with greenhouse gases.
Sea levels are rising
Ice caps are melting quicker
Population growth and the consumer society will do for us all in the end.

Malthus was correct then.

There are fundamental sciences at work that regardless of what human beings do, it won't be the end of the world.

pauldominic said:
stonerblue said:
Damocles said:

That's what i was trying to ascertain a long way back. 'Global warming' is a bit of a catch-all term and also gives the 'deniers' a get out along the lines of, "Well it's not getting any warmer round here."

Yes we're polluting the atmosphere with greenhouse gases.
Sea levels are rising
Ice caps are melting quicker
Population growth and the consumer society will do for us all in the end.

Malthus was correct then.

There are fundamental sciences at work that regardless of what human beings do, it won't be the end of the world.

We won't cause the end of the planet but we will bring forward the end of the human race with our excessive greed.

pauldominic said:
TCIB said:
So whats the bluemoon scientific debate's concensus ? are we all doomed in the next 50 years or what ?

A resounding and echoing NO and neither will our children or grandchildren.

People who live in flood plains will get flooded.
People who live in earthquake regions will get earthquakes.
Other people will get tsunamis as a result.
People who go on holiday to somewhere near the equator will get hot holidays.
People who buy houses for the best of intentions and do them up might struggle to sell.
etc etc etc

He asked what is the scientific consensus. That is nowhere the scientific consensus. This is the scientific consensus:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.ipcc.ch/publications_and_data/ar4/syr/en/contents.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.ipcc.ch/publications_and_dat ... tents.html</a>

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.