Glyn Pardoe RIP

He came from our little town, I remember he drove the mini bus from Maine Road to Platt Lane when I had a trial there. Being a local lad he took the time to speak to my uncle on the day, they both knew each other as attended the same school in Wharton, Winsford, something as a 14 year old I never knew until the day.

An unsung hero of the last all - English team to win the league. (And I didn't need to look It up)

Mulhearn

Book Pardoe

Doyle Heslop Oakes

Lee Bell Summerbee Young Coleman

RIP Glyn. A true Blue Legend.
That was pretty much my first Subbuteo team... happy memories of those times. RIP Glyn

Sad news. Part of the City team I grew up with and scorer of the winning goal at Wembley against West Brom on that mud bath of a pitch.

Within the last few minutes I received a phone call from our local newspaper "Winsford & Middlewich Guardian" who asked me for my thoughts on Glyn.I hadn`t got a scooby what the hell the reporter was on about.Imagine my shock when he told me.
Plenty of you will already know that one of my biggest reasons for supporting City was due to Glyn and his cousin,my namesake,Alan Oakes.
Glyn who lived with his parents,had their back garden and ours adjacent and my Dad knew Glyns Dad very well.I can always remember seeing Glyn in their back garden with a football.The first time I ever saw Glyn play was at Old Trafford when he played centre forward for England Under 15`s against Holland IIRC,as our school organised the trip.
My Dad arranged for Glyn to take me to a Citys home games and can you imagine what that was like for a 13 year old kid,travelling with Citys 18 year old centre forward ... it was surreal.He used to take his Mum,Gran and his girlfriend Pat (who he eventually married).Once at Maine Road we would wait in the Players Car park whilst awaiting for Alan and Mike Doyle to arrive and they would walk that short distance to the Players Entrance together.I was taken around the changing areas,met other players and Joe and Big Malc.
Later on I would organise away trips to games and hired a mini bus for 12 of us.We waited patiently at the Players Entrance for away games and Glyn and Alan would come out with Complimentary Tickets for us.
Glyn attended our Local Mid Cheshire Branch Meetings on more than one occasion and he was so proud of his Grandson Tommy,wearing that sky blue shirt.
Glyn many thanks from myself for all your help over the years and thanks for scoring that winner in the 1969/70 League Cup Final (WBA) and making Winsford a very proud town.
RIP mate and my sincere condolences to Pat and their children.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.