Glyn Pardoes funeral today ... Monday 15th June

oakiecokie

Just returned from Glyns funeral today which had a fair few City Old Boys in attendance.As you know only 20 attendees are allowed inside the church etc and Glyns family expressed their wishes for Tony Book,Colin Bell and Mike Summerebee to attend on Citys behalf.Tony and Colin were very big friends of Glyns anyway.
Outside there were a further 20 people who stayed until the end of the service and that included Tommy Booth,Joe Corrigan,Peter Barnes and Ian Brightwell.
Alan Oakes and Tommy Doyle were there as members of the family and young Tommy did take it badly,which as his grandson you would expect.
Me and my mate stood with Boothy and Barnsey and he can tell some great footballing stories can Tommy Booth.
Once again Glyn RIP.

Last edited:
Just returned from Glyns funeral today which had a fair few City Old Boys in attendance.As you know only 20 attendees are allowed inside the church etc and Glyns family expressed their wishes for Tony Book,Colin Bell and Mike Summerebee to attend on Citys behalf.Tony and Colin were very big friends of Glyns anyway.
Outside there were a further 20 people who stayed until the end of the service and that included Tommy Booth,Joe Corrigan,Peter Barnes and Ian Brightwell.
Alan Oakes and Tommy Doyle were there as members of the family and young Tommy did take it badly,which as his grandson you would expect.
Me and my mate stood with Boothy and Barnsey and he can tell some great footballing stories can Tommy Booth.
Once again Glyn RIP.
That sounds most fitting.

RIP Glyn. Well done Oakie on going to the funeral mate.
I`ve known Glyn for near on 60 years Tim and he aint changed one bit.
Not certain if people are aware of this but Glyn so nearly joined Everton as a schoolboy.He talked with them and was very impressed with the then Manager.However Harry Catterick came in and Glyn felt there was just something that he couldn`t or didn`t feel the same way with Catterick.
The rest is history.Glyn told us this story at a Branch Meeting when I asked him who his "team" was as a youngster and he said Everton but like their Alan he also liked Wolves.
He also liked City as Alan had signed for them and that swayed his decision to join the Sky Blues.

Last edited:
Not certain if people are aware of this but Glyn so nearly joined Everton as a schoolboy.He talked with them and was very impressed with the then Manager.However Harry Catterick came in and Glyn felt there was just something that he couldn`t or didn`t feel the same way with Catterick.
The rest is history.Glyn told us this story at a Branch Meeting when I asked him who is "team" was as a youngster and he said Everton but like their Alan he also liked Wolves.
He also liked City as Alan had signed for them and that swayed his decision to join the Sky Blues.

Thanks Oakie. Glyn sounds like a really top guy.

It's interesting to hear the Everton story. I am very glad Glyn didn't go to the Toffees.

Thanks Oakie. Glyn sounds like a really top guy.

It's interesting to hear the Everton story. I am very glad Glyn didn't go to the Toffees.
Its just a pity that this virus has stopped so many people from attending a most likeable guy and a True Blue through and through.
My sentiments also extend to all those other people who have lost dear ones and many many more who missed out on a wonderful send off that they all deserved.

Rest in peace Glyn. Another one of the team of my childhood gone, so sad. I used to see Tony Book every year in Tenerife but he hasn't been there the last couple of years.

Rest in peace Glyn. Another one of the team of my childhood gone, so sad. I used to see Tony Book every year in Tenerife but he hasn't been there the last couple of years.
Toomy Booth told us an interesting tale about the day that he recommended Skip to Joe Mercer.Joe replied that he didn`t want a 33 year old signing for City.Big Malc retorted "he`s only 29 not 33".Joe didn`t believe him so Big Malc produced a Birth Certificate of Skip showing he was indeed only 29.
Joe signed him based on that but it was a few years later it appeared that Big Malc had a doctored version of this said Birth Certificate.This afternoon looking at Skip he did look like someone not far short of his 90th but he`ll still be a true City Legend whatever age he lives to.

The rest is history.Glyn told us this story at a Branch Meeting when I asked him who is "team" was as a youngster and he said Everton but like their Alan he also liked Wolves.
And I don't think we have ever filled that left full-back (wing back) role properly since his injury in 1970. He was a classy player and, as the song says, should have gone to Mexico and won a lot of England caps. It was harder to get a game for England in those days.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.