Go with what we have

I’m not sure. I think there is a danger of us falling back a bit this season and we have lost a lot of goals with Alvarez going. We must have loads of money available and I think we should be spending it if the right player is available. Who that is, I don’t know.
Maybe our targets aren't available and no amount of money will make the selling clubs part

Think I've typed out these XIs in three different threads already but:

Ederson
Walker, Dias, Akanji, Gvardiol
Rodri
De Bruyne, Foden
Bobb, Haaland, Grealish

Ortega
Lewis, Stones, Ake, Wilson-Esbrand (Phillips)
Kovacic
Bernardo, Nunes
Savinho, McAtee, Doku

Disagree completely. We need somebody who can both play with Rodri and play when he is unavailable. I would prioritise a defensive midfielder and push Rodri higher for a lot of games.

Since last summer, we have lost 45 goals a season from Mahrez, Gundo and now Alvarez combined. We have maybe added 7 or 8 with Savio, 5 with Doku and a few with Bobb if he continues on his trajectory. We simply cannot keep taking goals out of the team and not replacing them as at some point, you will start to struggle.

We have clearly had major issues shifting the players that we don't want here this summer. Phillips, Cancelo and maybe even Nunes. But we have quite an aging midfield and we are potentially looking at Pep's last season. Add a 34 year old right back to that and the fact we now only have one striker and you start to see potential holes and weaknesses creeping up.

I'm not panicking, Pep always finds solutions, but to me you take the opportunity to use Pep's pull whilst he is still here and look to attract the players to come to the club. IF, and it's a big if, any of the charges stuck and we ended up with some form of points deduction, we could see ourselves out of the Champions League for a couple of years and finding it difficult to attract the players that we want.

This idea that we cannot play without rodri based on a sample size of four games has to stop. Rodri is a quality player but so is haaland and so is kdb and we found solutions then and we would this time to, the losses we suffered last season without rodri all have extenuating circumstances and its just simply not a big enough sample size to suggest that the world falls in without him, the games we lost without him we werent overrun at arsenal and lost to a deflected goal right at the end, the villa game was the only game we were well beaten and even then it was only by a single goal.

No, it’s not enough.

Another defensive midfield player to give Rodders a break.
And another striker to give Erling a break.
City can’t play these 2 players constantly throughout this long season, never mind the possibility of both getting injured and City have no cover for either player.

Spend some of that £150mill City have in the bank from player sales.

Disagree completely. We need somebody who can both play with Rodri and play when he is unavailable. I would prioritise a defensive midfielder and push Rodri higher for a lot of games.

Since last summer, we have lost 45 goals a season from Mahrez, Gundo and now Alvarez combined. We have maybe added 7 or 8 with Savio, 5 with Doku and a few with Bobb if he continues on his trajectory. We simply cannot keep taking goals out of the team and not replacing them as at some point, you will start to struggle.

We have clearly had major issues shifting the players that we don't want here this summer. Phillips, Cancelo and maybe even Nunes. But we have quite an aging midfield and we are potentially looking at Pep's last season. Add a 34 year old right back to that and the fact we now only have one striker and you start to see potential holes and weaknesses creeping up.

I'm not panicking, Pep always finds solutions, but to me you take the opportunity to use Pep's pull whilst he is still here and look to attract the players to come to the club. IF, and it's a big if, any of the charges stuck and we ended up with some form of points deduction, we could see ourselves out of the Champions League for a couple of years and finding it difficult to attract the players that we want.

I fully agree (well apart from moving Rodri).

I do think the players you have mentioned can add more goals.

But we have took so many goals out who are goal scorers, if we look at it as 20+ and 10+ players

20+ Haaland and Foden (although Foden is not a given and a huge achievement to get 20+). Not many teams will have 2 players getting 20+ goals.

10+ KDB after that I am sure someone will be can’t say with confidence who

Bobb (big ask)
Savio (maybe most likely)
Grealish (big improvement)
Bernardo (possible)
Doku (possible)
Rodri (probably not, as good as he is)
Kov, Nunes etc. no

Now we would all have Mahrez, Gundo and Alvarez up with KDB.

So there is some stepping up to do.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.