Goals scored this season

dajd1984

Looking back over the goals we've scored this season I looked at the ones in the EPL and wondered how common it is for a team to score so many of their goals from set-pieces. Further to that, as a team who doesn't usually play with wingers, we've also scored a fair few from crosses. Which led me to thinking, how successful is our regular normal approach? If we seek to win games through plying from the back, with creative players in the middle, then how come so few of our goals are coming from this method?

Southampton 3-2 OPEN PLAY - CORNER - CROSS
Liverpool 2-2 CROSS - ON THE BREAK
QPR 3-1 CORNER - CROSS/OPEN-PLAY - OPEN PLAY
STOKE 1-1 SET-PIECE
ARSENAL 1-1 CORNER
FULHAM 2-1 CORNER - OPEN PLAY (scramble)
SUNDERLAND 3-0 SET PIECE - CROSS - SET PIECE
WEST BROM 2-1 SET PIECE - ON BREAK
SWANSEA 1-0 OPEN PLAY

Is it down to the way teams are setting up against us? If so, should we change our style because it isn't getting us the goals we want?
Any ideas? Discuss.

Yes I know we are third in the league and I am happy about that, but we haven't got there playing like Champions, it's been an edge of the seat battle on most occassions.

truth is we haven't 'clicked' yet. Its always going to be hard to break down team who set up with ten men defending on the edge of their box. In order to score you need quick, precise, perfect, passing and creativity to slip a player through and score, 'barca style'. We haven't performed this year so far and this passing hasn't happened so we are relying on goals that are created by set pieces, deflections, crosses, breaks and long range strikes. These goals are more down to chance rather than creativity and skill. What is scary is that we are 3rd and unbeaten so what happens when we do 'click' and start scoring great passing goals from open play as well as these goals scored more by 'chance'?

I truly believe teams like united find it easy to win games because team dont park the bus against them. They look at united's team sheet and think they always have a 'chance' against them so they come out and attack then leave space for united's players.

Aguero's injury and Silva's late start to pre-season followed by injury just as he was hitting form have contributed to the lack of goals from open play. Luckily we do have alternatives.

sonnymancity said:
truth is we haven't 'clicked' yet. Its always going to be hard to break down team who set up with ten men defending on the edge of their box. In order to score you need quick, precise, perfect, passing and creativity to slip a player through and score, 'barca style'.

Barca do do it though and teams set out to defend against them, we can't forever blame that.

sonnymancity said:
I truly believe teams like united find it easy to win games because team dont park the bus against them. They look at united's team sheet and think they always have a 'chance' against them so they come out and attack then leave space for united's players.

United haven't always had as bad a team sheet as they have now though and they still found it pretty easy (or at least they were consistently on top).

sonnymancity said:
truth is we haven't 'clicked' yet. Its always going to be hard to break down team who set up with ten men defending on the edge of their box. In order to score you need quick, precise, perfect, passing and creativity to slip a player through and score, 'barca style'. We haven't performed this year so far and this passing hasn't happened so we are relying on goals that are created by set pieces, deflections, crosses, breaks and long range strikes. These goals are more down to chance rather than creativity and skill. What is scary is that we are 3rd and unbeaten so what happens when we do 'click' and start scoring great passing goals from open play as well as these goals scored more by 'chance'?

what rubbish

This was the problem yet again today.
WHU let us play out game and keep coming at them and we hardly got close. Pathetic!

sonnymancity said:

United play differently to us.

Get ball wide
Cross ball
Score with header / tap in / from edge of box after a scrambled clearance

20 years they've done this.

Do this enough and eventually you will score.

Stoned Rose said:
sonnymancity said:

United play differently to us.

Get ball wide
Cross ball
Score with header / tap in / from edge of box after a scrambled clearance

20 years they've done this.

Do this enough and eventually you will score.

I think that's an option for us. We need to play a system that gets us goals!!!

Just defend narrowly against us and you've already got half the job done. The other half involves hard work, pressing, and some luck. We quite simply struggle against teams that defend like that because of no width and a complete lack of through balls that we used to get from Silva that even he is struggling to pick out now. We spend a big % of the 90 minutes passing it around and patiently waiting for that one opening when more direct teams are bombing the ball in and creating them. I'm not saying a direct style is superior, Barcelona have shown otherwise, but to play like we do you need to do it the right way or it can be incredibly frustrating. Mancini will probably put Maicon in the team as soon as he gets back to try and bring back the danger the full-backs once posed.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.