Golf Question

pauldominic

I was brought up with a driver, 3,4 woods, 5-9 irons, sand and pitch wedges and putter.

I've bought a new set which is almost the same - driver, 3 wood, 3-4 hybrids, 5-9 irons, both wedges and a putter.

Can someone explain to a novice what the logic behind the emergence of hybrid woods is?

Basically designed to be easier to hit out of difficult lies and are more forgiving on off center hits ie bigger sweet spot...

Tenerife Blue said:
Basically designed to be easier to hit out of difficult lies and are more forgiving on off center hits ie bigger sweet spot...

The tee is a difficult lie?<br /><br />-- Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:52 pm --<br /><br />
ancoats said:
about £150

I bought the wrong set then?

They're good enough for refreshing my skills.

pauldominic said:
Tenerife Blue said:

The tee is a difficult lie?

-- Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:52 pm --

ancoats said:
about £150

I bought the wrong set then?

They're good enough for refreshing my skills.

You would only really use a hybrid from the tee on long par 3's.Stay away from em Paul and learn to use your long iron's.

Hybrid clubs are very forgiving.

If you're worried about the price, do what I do (95% of the time), and buy 2nd hand. It's a golf club, not much can go wrong with it, so I don't see the point in having shiny brand new everything

The extra weight behind the club head means they are easier to get the ball airborne and less likely to twist out of rough, plus the larger sweet spot makes them more forgiving.

The perfect club for ladies & seniors - a bloke with anything other than a set of forged blades is in effect a cheat and should be forced to play in a skirt off red tees.

pauldominic said:
Tenerife Blue said:

The tee is a difficult lie?
What are you on about?

You don't just use them off the tea do you, that is the point.<br /><br />-- Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:21 pm --<br /><br />
lefty goldblatt said:

If you're worried about the price, do what I do (95% of the time), and buy 2nd hand. It's a golf club, not much can go wrong with it, so I don't see the point in having shiny brand new everything
I'd agree unless you are fairly tall in which case having some lengthened with a degree or two up angle on the head (to stop you digging the toe in) in which case somewhere like American golf will sort them for you.

lefty goldblatt said:

I've bought them already for what I thought was a reasonable price and my left handed daughter is going to buy some as well.

I'm having a lesson next week at a local club.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.