Golf...

Richie said:
adamgregory said:
I hadn't played for a few years but managed to convince the fiancee to have a go, so bought her some clubs but now im stuck, does anybody know of any decent courses that are complete amateur friendly and dont mind if she takes ages to complete a hole? she has played once, we went to Castle Hawk in Rochdale last weekend but its mainly par 3's and pretty shite. so im after somewhere preferably municipal, quite quiet and also fairly flat. as my first thoughts were Heaton Park but theres a fair few blind shots and she will lose balls for fun. any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated guys.
many thanks

If you live in Denton, try Adlington (just South of Poynton on the road to Macc) or there is one near BAE Woodford, just at the end of the dual carriageway that runs off the A34.

When she gets a bit better, take her to Royal Houldsworth in Reddish - we are a good bunch and dont have the 'two-bob millionaires' that you find at Denton & Reddish Vale (alledgedly!)

The course you're talking about near bae woodford is called moorend and its like a field with holes in it. Suppose its ok while you're starting out but £11 for nine holes is a rip off, just played "chorlton-cum hardy" last week, they've got a deal on £12 a round and its a decent course.

I played a lot in my early teens but then I broke my ankle playing footy and got out of the routine, not really played since barring the odd trip to the driving range. I was never that good anyway.

Loads of good courses round this way though (south-east scotland), worth a visit for those who like golfing trips.

Heading on my 4 day annual trip to Troon soon. :o)

You want to see the shit they serve up in the chippies PMSL

Used to play loads was a pga assistant for about 5 years. (bramhall, Bolton open, Dukinfield, Queens Park crewe) got down to +1 before turning pro.

Gave it up as hated teaching and was not good enough to earn my money playing.

Now play sociably and still get a buzz. Nothing better than hitting a screaming low draw into a gale at Hoylake and seeing it hold up in to the wind chase up the green and finish feet from the pin. Links golf just cannot be beat.

Yesterday was a bit of a milestone for me. Spent a couple of hours at the range and really felt like I was beginning to get serious consistency in my drives.

I've totally got the bug - I look forward to being good enough to step onto a proper course...

Golfing over here in Dublin there is some cheap public courses well worth a game under the €30 mark for a round. I know the City itself is a bit on the pricey side but the price of golf has dropped big time. Some of the cheaper courses are all kept to a high standard. My local course there greenskeeper came from Carton House which held the Irish Open a couple of times. It is designed by Christy O Connor Jnr and is a bargain at €25 peak time early bird is under €20 as is a tee time after 2pm.
Corbalis a links course is around the €25 mark nice public golf course bit of a treak out to it but a very nice course to play on in good weather. Deer Park up in the hills 27 hole golf course we played it in the job got a round of golf and a dinner for €30 euro which was top notch. Just for some of you lot thinking about a golf break in Dublin it can be done for cheap enough.

Richie said:
adamgregory said:
I hadn't played for a few years but managed to convince the fiancee to have a go, so bought her some clubs but now im stuck, does anybody know of any decent courses that are complete amateur friendly and dont mind if she takes ages to complete a hole? she has played once, we went to Castle Hawk in Rochdale last weekend but its mainly par 3's and pretty shite. so im after somewhere preferably municipal, quite quiet and also fairly flat. as my first thoughts were Heaton Park but theres a fair few blind shots and she will lose balls for fun. any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated guys.
many thanks

If you live in Denton, try Adlington (just South of Poynton on the road to Macc) or there is one near BAE Woodford, just at the end of the dual carriageway that runs off the A34.

When she gets a bit better, take her to Royal Houldsworth in Reddish - we are a good bunch and dont have the 'two-bob millionaires' that you find at Denton & Reddish Vale (alledgedly!)

Cheers Richie, I spoke to the bloke at Denton a few weeks ago and he seemed quite snotty, so thats on my list of places not to visit. Never thought of Adlington, may give that a try at weekend depending on weather, shes getting better, consitantly hitting her ball straight just got to increase distance.

We went to the driving range @ Trafford last night, took my driver as for some reason my G10 10.5 degree acts like an 8 degree driver, very low trajectory. but think ive sorted it now. Cant wait to play this weekend

Great game and you meet alot of nice people. But can be the most frustrating game on earth too. Every time you think you have it sussed it bites you on the arse. Going to St Andrews with the lads next month. Can't wait.

Been playing about 5 years now and just got down to 19....Play at Fairfield which has just had £2.0m spent on it. I won the Bluemoon comp last year at Worsley which was a superb day out...I wish I'd taken it up years ago!!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.