Gordon Cowans

Zabbasbeard

Team supported
Manchester City
Sad to learn that ex-Villa, midfielder Gordon Cowans has been diagnosed with early stages of Alzheimers Disease. He was a top class player who was a member of a Aston Villa's 1980-81 title and 1981-82 European Champions Cup winners side. A quiet, understated man, he was an intelligent, top class midfielder. I saw him play a few times for Villa and when I lived in Sheffield for the Blades (he was in his late 30s by the time he rocked up at Bramall Lane) and was always class. Thinking of him and his family.

Sad to learn that ex-Villa, midfielder Gordon Cowans has been diagnosed with early stages of Alzheimers Disease. He was a top class player who was a member of a Aston Villa's 1980-81 title and 1981-82 European Champions Cup winners side. A quiet, understated man, he was an intelligent, top class midfielder. I saw him play a few times for Villa and when I lived in Sheffield for the Blades (he was in his late 30s by the time he rocked up at Bramall Lane) and was always class. Thinking of him and his family.

Awful illness especially when you have lived with someone who has had it

A fantastic player...Graceful skilfull midfielder..at a time when English football was mainly 442 long ball from the back to the front men,or into the channels.
Players like Cowans,Alan Devonshire at WHU and Liam Brady at Arsenal stood out for their composure in central midfield.None of these 3 players had pace,but could all pick a pass,or weave round oppenents showing great ball control/dribbling skills on often muddy pitches.Almost continental in tneir outlook..playmakers.Cowans was a joy to watch in that early 80s Villa side.i believe his nick name was 'Sid' for some reason.
Sad news.

Lived in Birmingham in the mid 80s for a year and watched him a lot. Very good player. terrible news.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.