Great drunks

Tony Ashton.

He was the singer / keyboard player in Ashton, Gardner and Dyke who had a hit with Resurrection Shuffle. When Deep Purple finally split up for good, Jon Lord (keyboards) and Ian Paice (drums) decided they wanted to have a 'big band' group with funky bass, girl singers and a brass section. They needed a front man for vocals and keyboards and so turned to Ashton as a good mate of theirs. Unfortunately, he couldn't handle the pressure of being in front of these two legends of music and turned to drink when the live gigs came along. Jon Lord said Tony got so nervous that he turned to large amounts of drink, which made his performances even worse so he drank some more. Finally fell off the front of the stage at which point Lord and Paice called it a day. Shame really, because the only album the made, Malice in Wonderland is a good listen

Shane MacGowan

One evening I had the good fortune to be on the piss with The Pogues and to my surprise Shane was nowhere near the worst pisspot in the band. Phil Chevron was that hammered he fell backwards off his bar stool and snapped his guitar in half. Andy the drummer is an absolute monster,never seemed to get drunk, We were singing Pogues sat at the bar at a hotel in Leeds drinking double JDs for fun. Shane was quite reserved, almost shy. I took Daryll the bass player to Maine Road, we were playing Forest and he is a big Forest fan. He loved a drink and his missus was a proper piss can. James the accordian player is good fun, he is from Worsley and I had a few nights on the piss with him in London, he is a good lad.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.