Great Saves

TueartsCossackSpray said:
i8therags said:
Corrigan v Leeds FA cup 1977 ish away.

Seconded. They called it "save of the century" it was unbelievable.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, Big Joe was moving one way, and managed to pull himself back the other way to tip it away.

Blue Peter had it in its competition for 'Save of the Century. One of five, IIRC.

Weaver made a selection of world class saves in the 1999/2000 season. Schmeichel at anfield in 2003 was pretty special and joe hart at home to dortmund in front of the south stand.

davymcfc said:
Weaver made a selection of world class saves in the 1999/2000 season. Schmeichel at anfield in 2003 was pretty special and joe hart at home to dortmund in front of the south stand.

Which one of the six brilliant saves was that? ;-)
Joe was truly awesome in that game!
Genuinely world class that night.

kevin1987 said:
The Hart save against the rags was class when he came out of his area and ran back a full 25 yards to tip Rooney,s shot over the bar was special

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVEwTYaEoLE[/video]

A full 25 yards? Try the length of the pitch!

Schmeichel against united when we won 1 0. He had a top game and made aome very good saves.

Also given vs Birmingham when we finished 5th. Had a quality game.

Only 17 so cant remember any old ones my self

Uwe`s Grandad said:
i8therags said:

This
Didn't the rag loving media still give save of the season to Alex Stepney that year though. In the derby at Maine Rd. Leaning back tip over bar at North Stand end? I might be confused with age but through the fog of time remember being outraged about it because Corrigan's was a jaw dropper! Was at Elland Road for it. What a serene stroll it was back to the coach in those days.

The greatest save I ever saw was Bert Trautmann v Wolves 1955. Jimmy Mullen cut in from the left by-line and drove the ball across hard. Dennis Wilshaw met it full in the middle of his forehead from abut six yards out and bulleted it in towards the bottom corner. Surely a goal!

But Bert incredibly flew across and not only saved it, but caught it in those big hands! It was unbelievable. However, not only no TV coverage then but there was a newspaper strike and it got no mention in the press the next day.

It it was preserved on TV it'd be hailed as the greatest ever.

Banks v Pele? Bert would have caught the bloody ball, never mind squirting it over the bar!

If you never saw Bert, you missed something special. Of course, the above save was a year before he broke his neck. He was never quite the same afterwards.

I wonder if anyone here saw it or if Gary can cast any light on it?

warringtonblue said:
i8therags said:

Thirded ! Fantastic save, got compared with Gordon Banks', didn't they invade the pitch that day to try to get it abandoned?
It was better than Banks' save as Corrigan was going the wrong way and had to twist in mid air to get his fingers to it. Banks was going the right way.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.