Greatest athlete since 1945

Lovebitesandeveryfing

Since ’tis the season, as it were… By the way, to be clear, I mean track and field. I suggest the date simply because nobody's seen Paavo Nurmi or Jesse Owens run, and the footage is extremely limited and of poor quality.

I'll keep my powder dry on this one for the time being. Curious to see what turns up. (And to see if my choice turns up, which I doubt, somehow).

Daley Thompson - won two Olympic decathlon gold medals

Lasse Virén and Mo Farah - the only two men to have done the 5 000m and 10 000m Olympic double double.

Emil Záropek - won the 5 000m, 10 000m and marathon at the Helsinki Olympics in 1952.

Fanny Blankers-Koen - won four gold medals at London Olympics in 1948.

Without bringing other matters up...

Without a doubt it's the following for me.

Seeing him for the first time when he burst onto the scene was just incredible. To be that far ahead of the competition was just surreal in such a short event.

Without bringing other matters up...

Without a doubt it's the following for me.

Seeing him for the first time when he burst onto the scene was just incredible. To be that far ahead of the competition was just surreal in such a short event.

he's a rag, should have an asterisk*

Daley Thompson - won two Olympic decathlon gold medals

Lasse Virén and Mo Farah - the only two men to have done the 5 000m and 10 000m Olympic double double.

Emil Záropek - won the 5 000m, 10 000m and marathon at the Helsinki Olympics in 1952.

Fanny Blankers-Koen - won four gold medals at London Olympics in 1948.
Great suggestions there. For me, I’d take out Viren because I think we now know he was blood transfusing and he never really competed hardly outside the Olympics, and also Farah for similar (but not identical) reasons.

All the others I agree with and ultimately I’d come down to a toss up between Zatopek and Thompson.

wmZDD8.gif

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.