Greatest athlete since 1945

Seems a few people have missed the important criteria in the first post: track and field athletes - i.e. athletics.

I think most of the best have been mentioned but how about Ed Moses?

Olympic champion in the 400m hurdles in 76 and 84, and would have probably won in 80 but for the boycott. He was also unbeaten in 107 consecutive finals between 1977 and 1987.
Yeah, that’s a very good shout.

Got to be Alf Tupper. (Google it if you’re not an FOC.)
Alternative, Caitlin Jenner.

Last edited:
There's a case for Daley Thompson but then like all multi-discipline athletes, he wasn't the world's best at any of them.

Like all of these things it depends on how you define "Greatest", but I'm going with Usain Bolt.
To be the greatest athlete you need a combination of speed, stamina and strength. I dismissed Daley for Kelly Holmes in the other thread but thinking about the actual best athlete rather than favorite you need to find the decathlete triathlete or someone who did very well in multiple events throughout their career.

Being just the fastest isn't good enough. You could easily pick a dominant pole vaulter.

I'd say Bolt. Maybe it's a case of my age and recency bias, but even looking beyond his records I'd argue he single-handedly reignited interest in athletics. He was a titan.

There's a case for Daley Thompson but then like all multi-discipline athletes, he wasn't the world's best at any of them.

Like all of these things it depends on how you define "Greatest", but I'm going with Usain Bolt.
Daley was a world-class sprinter and pole vaulter.

He might not have broken world records in those events, but he was up there with the best.

Got to be Alf Tupper. (Google it if you’re not an FOC.)
Alternative, Caitlin Jenner
Alf one of the first names mentioned on page 1.
I saw a poll a few years ago where Bruce Jenner was voted best sports star of all time.

Alf one of the first names mentioned on page 1.
I saw a poll a few years ago where Bruce Jenner was voted best sports star of all time.
Yes, I was serious about that. Wouldn’t be my vote but Jenner was brilliant.

Daley Thompson all day long. Decathlon gold medal at the Olympic Games in 1980 and 1984, and broke the world record for the event four times. Unbeaten in competition for nine years. A true all rounder. All this, in spite of numerous disadvantages in his formative years. Daley's father, who left home when he was six years old was later shot dead. At aged seven, he was sent away to a boarding school for delinquent children. And yet, unlike many of today's athletes, you never heard him complain about the cards life had dealt him.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.