Greeting British future in-laws

Lowtower

Team supported
Man City
Hi everyone. I shall be meeting my daughters British fiancé and his dad in person for the first time next week. They are British and I want to be welcomed warmly but without inadvertently breaching etiquette. I’ve never been to England or anywhere outside my home country.

From Googling, I believe the correct way to greet the British is usually informal in social settings & first names are commonly used in social introductions. When greeting each other, close friends may hug or kiss one another on the cheek, while others may simply offer a nod is this correct?

If he is a Tory though, is it socially acceptable to give him a quick kick in the bollocks?

As for his dad, should I shake his hand? Or just exchange polite niceties about the weather, even though it will be freezing and pissing down?

Thanks folks. And while I usually appreciate irreverent answers as much as anyone, can we please be aware of sensitivities?

Hi everyone. I shall be meeting my daughters British fiancé and his dad in person for the first time next week. They are British and I want to be welcomed warmly but without inadvertently breaching etiquette. I’ve never been to England or anywhere outside my home country.

From Googling, I believe the correct way to greet the British is usually informal in social settings & first names are commonly used in social introductions. When greeting each other, close friends may hug or kiss one another on the cheek, while others may simply offer a nod is this correct?

If he is a Tory though, is it socially acceptable to give him a quick kick in the bollocks?

As for his dad, should I shake his hand? Or just exchange polite niceties about the weather, even though it will be freezing and pissing down?

Thanks folks. And while I usually appreciate irreverent answers as much as anyone, can we please be aware of sensitivities?
You must wear a bowler hat and carry an umbrella. Normal greeting is “How’s it hanging?” You must offer American food, crap burgers and the like. Belgian beer is de rigeur. Talk to them about ‘bloody scousers’ and comment on their northern accents: “ Must be hard to get a job, talking like that”.

Make sure you tell them that you are the number one fan of Manchester United and that you are very excited to talk about them.

You’ll make the most best of first impressions I promise.

Just make sure you take an appropriate gift from your home country. A large wad of Moroccan Blonde should go down well. He's presumably from Manchester though so to recognize his culture take a nice red Manchester United shirt and make sure he wears it all the time you are there. It's sure to get a reaction

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.