Gymnastics

normskih

Has anyone been watching the World Championships that have been on the BBC this week. Absolutely unbelievable tumbling, strength and balance and that’s only the women;) It’s all quite incredible.

Not watched it this week, but when the olympics are on, I'll often find myself watching gymnastics.

Seriously, the strength the guys have is ridiculous.

The rings thing, when they do the crucifix, I cannot see how anybody cannot be impressed, same with the horse.

The women on the parralel bars are amazing.

Kudos to any gymnasts

I've not seen it this year, but it's a sport I wish I'd taken seriously when I was younger.

The strength, stamina and control you need to do gymnastics well is astonishing. The physique on them is something else.

I do think in years to come, exercises like balancing, stretching, graceful movement, as well as the basics like squatting, touching your toes, sitting cross legged will become as important as walking and running.

Both my girls were gymnasts as kids, the youngest recreational (2 hours a week), and the eldest, from the age of 5, in the team squad at the club (Dialstone in Stockport) for 14 hours a week! I put up a "chinning" bar in the lounge door frame so they could practice chin ups - 5 for the youngest - 20 for the eldest.
With all the travel to and from, it was easier to stay, so I became a part-time coach.
When the eldest was 8, she got to a national final in Leicester, finishing 30th.
They were both strong, fit and supple, unlike their dad, and when they'd had enough, went to Stockport Harriers for a few years. Naturally, I became a club coach there!
It's a hard life being a dad - but well worth the effort.
Yu don't realise how much effort and practice (and "bottle") has to be put in by gymnasts to perfect a move such as a back flick on the beam, or a back straddle on the bars - swinging on the high bar, then releasing and catching the bottom bar on the way past.
It's 30 years since my girls were gymnasts, and when I see what the current girls can do, think "wow", how do they do that? Practice, practice, practice is the answer.

Both my girls were gymnasts as kids, the youngest recreational (2 hours a week), and the eldest, from the age of 5, in the team squad at the club (Dialstone in Stockport) for 14 hours a week! I put up a "chinning" bar in the lounge door frame so they could practice chin ups - 5 for the youngest - 20 for the eldest.
With all the travel to and from, it was easier to stay, so I became a part-time coach.
When the eldest was 8, she got to a national final in Leicester, finishing 30th.
They were both strong, fit and supple, unlike their dad, and when they'd had enough, went to Stockport Harriers for a few years. Naturally, I became a club coach there!
It's a hard life being a dad - but well worth the effort.
Yu don't realise how much effort and practice (and "bottle") has to be put in by gymnasts to perfect a move such as a back flick on the beam, or a back straddle on the bars - swinging on the high bar, then releasing and catching the bottom bar on the way past.
It's 30 years since my girls were gymnasts, and when I see what the current girls can do, think "wow", how do they do that? Practice, practice, practice is the answer.
I must say, I find it hard to keep looking when the girls are on the beam. I get nervous for them. My niece, my nephew’s wife was a gymnast to a decent level when she was younger and says the back flip on the beam is easier than forward as you see the beam as you go backwards, I suppose that makes sense. She gave up gymnastics when falling off the beam and breaking her coccyx.
I think they are all amazing whatever position they finish, it’s only a few points splitting the top 20 in the world, the effort they must all put themselves through deserves much more.

Last edited:
Not watched it this week, but when the olympics are on, I'll often find myself watching gymnastics.

Seriously, the strength the guys have is ridiculous.

The rings thing, when they do the crucifix, I cannot see how anybody cannot be impressed, same with the horse.

The women on the parralel bars are amazing.

Kudos to any gymnasts
It’s when on the floor exercise, the men do a handstand with their arms wide apart, how on earth they do that I‘ll never know? Obviously I do, they train and train but it’s fantastic to watch.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.