Happy 130th Birthday To The Best Team In The Land And All The World

I'm sure we're 144 years old this year. Or has St Marks,West Gorton and Ardwick fc been wiped out of our history for good ?
It depends what people think is our starting point. For me, it is 1894. That was when the new club known as Manchester City was set up from scratch. Our statistical history really begins in 1894. The club itself acknowledges our birth as being in 1894 both on our club emblem and in releasing a 125-year anniversary shirt in 2019. As far as I'm concerned, St. Marks and Ardwick were completely separate but relevant in the sense that some of the same people were involved - Lawrence Furniss and Walter Chew, for example.

It depends what people think is our starting point. For me, it is 1894. That was when the new club known as Manchester City was set up from scratch. Our statistical history really begins in 1894. The club itself acknowledges our birth as being in 1894 both on our club emblem and in releasing a 125-year anniversary shirt in 2019. As far as I'm concerned, St. Marks and Ardwick were completely separate but relevant in the sense that some of the same people were involved - Lawrence Furniss and Walter Chew, for example.
Yes, that’s the best way to look at it. St Mark’s and Ardwick and the various incarnations are like the parents and City is the child. We probably wouldn’t exist without them so they can’t be ignored and it’s good that they’re celebrated too.

All clubs that evolved out of the pre 1890s have patchy history. The reality was most were just a name associated with something else and probably playing multiple sports. There was minimal media coverage so it's hard to pin things down. The rules of football weren't really nailed down until the leagues started.

I think our history is very clearly originating in St Marks but I'm happy to go with the 1894 date as it's a point in time where the club was clearly set up, named and playing what we would recognise as football. Ardwick were playing 11 a side fa rules football in the alliance league years earlier but the early years of the leagues were chaotic. The alliance league failed in its first year as clubs didn't like to stick to the rules, playing friendlies instead. I suspect football changed massively from 1890 to 1900 as it went from multiple dysfunctional leagues to the start of the modern structure.

I know pal, I've read enough books on our history to know this, it's why I put the other 3 separate. But other clubs with similar stories claim their history from the very beginning, so why don't we ? Without St Marks there is no Manchester City. It's just my feelings on this matter, I'm not saying I'm right.

I'm sure we're 144 years old this year. Or has St Marks,West Gorton and Ardwick fc been wiped out of our history for good ?
Yep - not sure why we've accepted the origins being erased. Despite Marion Morrison's acceptance above, name changes are permitted. Badge should have had 1880 on it. Missed a trick.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.