Happy clappers / losing mentality

I am the sort of fan who is just happy to go to the match, meet the lads, have a few beers and have a good day out. I have done that for over 50 years and 1000s of games home and away and although I want us to win I really couldn't give a fuck if we win or lose, because i don't support City because we are good, i don't support City because we are rubbish, i support City because its in my blood and my Grandad saw the King at Hyde Road and brought me up on stories about City good and bad. I treasure the bad as much as the good because its my club. If you want to ditch me because i am content when we get to 40 points or i am happy with a proper relegation battle then so be it, you could upgrade me for a glory hunter from Immingham who has just realised City used to have a ground called Maine Road and players who appeared in escape to victory because that will make fuck all difference to Ederson spilling a soft shot or Raheem missing an open goal.

Because the thing is when all the good things come to an end as they surely will, i will still be meeting my mates, having a few beers and going to City whilst the glory hunters will have moved onto to the next big thing whilst we back the lads in a scrap to get out of the Manchester Sunday league 4th divison.

Being a fan isnt about success, its about love, passion, its family on a grander scale, you love them, you hate them but you will never forsake them until the day that you die.
Frame it

I share some of your points, but we cannot always win this is life you win you lose otherwise we change a team after everyweek or during games :)

But,

When the return on investment is not here then yes we shouldn't be happy.

Losing 4 year in a row against lesser teams in the QF is not good

I am the sort of fan who is just happy to go to the match, meet the lads, have a few beers and have a good day out. I have done that for over 50 years and 1000s of games home and away and although I want us to win I really couldn't give a fuck if we win or lose, because i don't support City because we are good, i don't support City because we are rubbish, i support City because its in my blood and my Grandad saw the King at Hyde Road and brought me up on stories about City good and bad. I treasure the bad as much as the good because its my club. If you want to ditch me because i am content when we get to 40 points or i am happy with a proper relegation battle then so be it, you could upgrade me for a glory hunter from Immingham who has just realised City used to have a ground called Maine Road and players who appeared in escape to victory because that will make fuck all difference to Ederson spilling a soft shot or Raheem missing an open goal.

Because the thing is when all the good things come to an end as they surely will, i will still be meeting my mates, having a few beers and going to City whilst the glory hunters will have moved onto to the next big thing whilst we back the lads in a scrap to get out of the Manchester Sunday league 4th divison.

Being a fan isnt about success, its about love, passion, its family on a grander scale, you love them, you hate them but you will never forsake them until the day that you die.
You are right no doubt about that.

When you go watching a club in the stadium is quiet different than TV you can enjoy the moment more than the performance. When you grow up supporting a team with your family it is different than when you become a fan.

At the same time we should acknowledge that the club invested heavily in order to get results, increase the revenue and the standard of the club, it must be taken into account. I feel for the owner when he spend the money, he needs a a good ROI.

Most Fans pay heavy money for products, subscribe tv channels etc to enjoy winning not losing even tough you will always a core of fans who stick and enjoy even without results.

From a financial point of view losing 4 QF in row against lesser teams shouldn't be acceptable.

We can accept that if the squad cost 30 or 40 million but not 400 or 500million

Very well said, pal.

Same here but still last nights midfield not only the slowest in the CL league but probably the slowest in professional football lolol

I had a terrible dream last night about being chased by Neil Webb with a machete whilst running in treacle. Coincidence? I think not.

Thanks Pep

Thank you very much:-(

You are right no doubt about that.

When you go watching a club in the stadium is quiet different than TV you can enjoy the moment more than the performance. When you grow up supporting a team with your family it is different than when you become a fan.

At the same time we should acknowledge that the club invested heavily in order to get results, increase the revenue and the standard of the club, it must be taken into account. I feel for the owner when he spend the money, he needs a a good ROI.

Most Fans pay heavy money for products, subscribe tv channels etc to enjoy winning not losing even tough you will always a core of fans who stick and enjoy even without results.

From a financial point of view losing 4 QF in row against lesser teams shouldn't be acceptable.

We can accept that if the squad cost 30 or 40 million but not 400 or 500million

As fans we have no control how the club spend money, we have no control over which players play or don't. We are fans and whilst the owners have been brilliant the fans will be with the club longer after the owners have moved on, is it our job to find what we are served up acceptable, maybe if you see fans as consumers of a product, and like all consumers then you have a right to complain and expect from the supplier if your expectations of what is promised is not delivered. Being a fan is different to being a consumer, we are captive because we love the club unconditionally and as blues we have been fans of some dross over the years, but we still remained fans, whilst a consumer would turn to a better product that met his/her expectations.

The owner can purchase players but the monetary value of the player has no bearing on whether we as fans appreciate the player, a consumer would value a high end performance car better than he would a clapped out old banger, but fans minds work differently. Take Zabba for instance, his monetary value was low, he cost the then owners little in terms of outlay but he was loved unconditionally because as fans we appreciate things differently from consumers. We have signed players for far more money than we spent on Zabba who are forgotten quickly by fans because there is no connection, their is no love, there is no affection where as a consumer would look at Zabba and say there are better right backs in world football than him and i want him because he bases his affections on monetary value. Like buying a Rolls Royce when he has a perfectly capable Mini Cooper.

Therefore as fan I take little notice of monetary value of players because it doesn't guarantee the affection or appreciation that me the fan will show towards a player who i believe deserves it. Because i am a fan first and foremost and itlittle matters who pulls on our shirt because the fact they wear our shirt is enough for me. Yes i can still be critical of course, i can call Ederson a ****, because he is our **** and if anyone else from another club called him a **** i would defend him to the hilt. Because being a fan transcends what happens with results, its about the lad who hasnt missed a game since 1977, its about the old fella who spends his pension on his passion, its about the dad who takes his wife and kids and its about me and you and everyone else who follows our great club. Football is a passion, its not numbers, or money or superstars or trophies, its about tradition, its about love, family and friends joining in a common cause and backing something we all love together.

Is it time for the club to ditch some of our less successful fans in order to progress? It still seems there is a significant number of fans that think staying up, CL qualification year after year and 8 out of 12 domestic trophies, centurions and the quadruple is what success looks like. These are the sort of fans who think just finishing comfortably second, winning just one domestic cup and getting knocked out in the later stages of the CL is acceptable. Does this undermine the 'winning mentality' of our team and undermine our attempts to have legendary European nights in our quest to become 'European royalty''? Maybe we need to upgrade some of the older fans as well as get a decent manager?

Absolutely spot on. I charged upstairs when I read your post and ripped off my City shirt and am now dressed in a much more appropriate two piece of a becoming sackcloth and ashes. I have seen at long last that I am an unsuccessful fan who is acting like a lead weight around the club's neck because I rejoiced in the plastic successes of 2017-18 and enthused over the meaningless triumphs of 2018-19. I loved three successive league cup finals and was thrilled by a 6-0 FA cup final win but now I see we would trade them all in for one great European night under the lights. That would mean more and when I ask when it will be, don't dare tell me never. We certainly need a decent manager rather than this bald fraud, and as for our fans - how many of them even bothered to go to the match last night? You could hear a pin drop when we should have been singing our ageing heads off.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.