Harry Maguire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think there's a lot of negativity around Maguire but he has a lot of potential to be a real fan favourite here. The only issue is the price tag. We've seen so many players markedly improve under Pep and there's no reason why Harry wouldn't either. Having the heart of Englands defence at the club can only be a good thing
Stones and Maguire could become a staple England centre back pairing. Playing together club wise would be wanktastic for Southgate.

Kind of irrelevant because I think he was probably too good to stay as our backup, but Angus Gunn already was that guy. In my opinion he could definitely have played in our team.
Gunn is probably a good call, except he was never going to stay second fiddle to Ederson as you say, once he got past 21

Think there's a lot of negativity around Maguire but he has a lot of potential to be a real fan favourite here. The only issue is the price tag. We've seen so many players markedly improve under Pep and there's no reason why Harry wouldn't either. Having the heart of Englands defence at the club can only be a good thing

Think he will be the new Dunney monster.

Disagree - assuming we go like for like and Vinny and Otamendi both leave we have 2 free slots within the 17 for central defenders. We might allocate one for a midfielder but that is a choice we would make and we could still sign a foreign CB, I very much doubt we will sign 2 CBs this summer. I count 15 Senior foreign players excluding those two and two of those are keepers. Sandler is 22 this year, I assume he will get one of the foreign slots or go on lone if we need that spot. The point is we can very easily buy 2x foreign CBs if we wan - I think we will buy HM and Rodri and that will be it.

I was working on the assumption nobody else other than Delph and obviously Kompany leaves.

Ederson bravo Danilo Laporte otamendi mendy zinchenko gundogan Fernandinho silva kdb Bernardo Sane mahrez jesus and Aguero are our current foreign players with one space for a new dm, be it Rodri or somebody else and that’s he foreign quota full, no space for sandler or mangala and no space to bring anybody else in without selling first.

We then have the full 4 homegrown quota in Delph sterling stones and walker plus foden for a 22 man squad with potentially Angelino Garcia and a few other academy players skirting around the periphery.

You seem to be basing your view on otamendi leaving too and us starting the season with just 3 centre backs, if that’s the case then you’re right we can choose whether the third centre back is homegrown or not but weneed 4 established centre backs. all the talk of Fernandinho or Garcia being the 4th choice is nothing but football manager fantasy imo, you don’t take risks at centre half, all the top teams have a minimum 4 recognised established centre backs and we will be no different. We currently have 3 and the only way of getting 4 is Delph leaving which frees up a HG spot for a hg centre back, if anybody else leaves it won’t open up a space as they’ll have a direct replacement brought in for them

There has to be better alternatives. If we're unable to sign a foreign CB this summer due to squad restrictions then we should save the money and go back into the market next summer. I think we can get by this season with Laporte, Otamendi and Stones with Fernandinho filling in when necessary. It almost feels like buying for the sake of it and if it goes through, I think we'll look back on it as a big waste of money.

Genuine question, if he was not homegrown would we be looking to sign him?
He's a good player, but is he the level of quality we need to improve the side to be winning CL's and PL's, beyond Pep?

Perhaps we should be looking for more creative solutions to fulfilling our homegrown quota, (like backup keeper?), rather than potential first team regulars making up quota's.
My own opinion is that Pep will only sign players he thinks are good enough whether home grown or otherwise, however being homegrown undoubtedly puts the price up.

There has to be better alternatives. If we're unable to sign a foreign CB this summer due to squad restrictions then we should save the money and go back into the market next summer. I think we can get by this season with Laporte, Otamendi and Stones with Fernandinho filling in when necessary. It almost feels like buying for the sake of it and if it goes through, I think we'll look back on it as a big waste of money.
This !

I think the key is Otamendi. Him and Maguire are very similar players. Both comfortable with the ball at their feet and good in the air. However, Both are slow and prone to getting caught out of position a bit too often. if Otamendi stays we don’t need Maguire. There has been talk of Otamendi going but there doesn’t appear to have been any activity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.