Has city ever been to Australia?

john@staustell said:
Interesting how those living overseas always see City as a thing ' HAS City ever been .......' etc - you see it in all the newsnow headlines around the world.

In England a club is a group of people - 'HAVE City ever been....................', rather than a battleship or something!

It's an Americanism. In American English, if the group of people has a collective identity that isn't itself plural (i.e. the Yankees, the Lakers, etc) then the group are subsumed under the single identity and become a singular.

Anyway, back on topic - it would be interesting to see City visit Australia, but the thing I'd be concerned about is that I don't think Australia are one of the places where our fanbase is growing very quickly. While the scum can play before packed-out stadia there, I think you'd find that we ended up playing before crowds in the single-digit thousands, and I'm not convinced, in a country where "soccer" is quite far down the pecking order, as it is in most former British Empire countries (ironically), that us going there for a week would even create the kind of attention that would win us many fans. I'd rather we wait before we've become a bit more successful and can attract bigger crowds, even if it disappoints the Aussie fans we currently do have (sorry guys).

I detest this AFL nonsense they all love here in Melbourne. Awful.

I see lots of U*d tops over here but have only bumped into one City fan so far and that was up in Brisbane.

If they did it would be to the etihad in Melbourne. To be honest, seeing all the un*td hoopla here in Sydney just made me glad we're not that big. It's what we're striving for I suppose so I'd say with us owning a stadium in Melbourne, it's all about promoting the airline so the next 2-3 years we will see a game in Melbourne.

Dumfries Dave said:

I see lots of U*d tops over here but have only bumped into one City fan so far and that was up in Brisbane.

Boring random story but I was out in the sticks last week, middle of of nowhere in western australia and walking down a dirt track, only saw one vehicle the whole afternoon and it was a 4wd with an MCFC sticker on the rear bumper.

My mate went to see us in NYC.

I have been to the Etihad here but it was for North Melbourne vs St Kilda in the AFL.

Really, really nice stadium. I hope we come here and that I'm still here at the time.

Victoria1970.png

I was going to say that I thought it was 1970. I think they played 7 games in total.

I'm not sure that City are in rush to play in Australia. At the moment it seems to be about 'Brand Awareness' and the audience isn't really big enough. Their population is only about 20 million.

Dumfries Dave said:

Go and watch Storm, then. RL is a great sport, the NRL is the elite rugby competition in the world and Storm are a very good team with some superstars of the game.

Here's the 1970 Tour of Australia...

May 10 Western Australia D 1-1 Perry Lakes Stadium, Perth
May 13 South Australia... W 4-0 Olympic Sports Field, Adelaide
May 16 New South Wales W 2-1 Sydney Sports Ground
May 17 Queensland....... W 3-0 ?
May 24 Victoria........... W 3-0 Olympic Park, Melbourne
May 27 Northern NSW.... W 4-1 Macquarie Field, Newcastle
May 30 New South Wales W 4-0 Sydney Sports Ground

Falastur said:
john@staustell said:
Interesting how those living overseas always see City as a thing ' HAS City ever been .......' etc - you see it in all the newsnow headlines around the world.

In England a club is a group of people - 'HAVE City ever been....................', rather than a battleship or something!

It's an Americanism. In American English, if the group of people has a collective identity that isn't itself plural (i.e. the Yankees, the Lakers, etc) then the group are subsumed under the single identity and become a singular.

Anyway, back on topic - it would be interesting to see City visit Australia, but the thing I'd be concerned about is that I don't think Australia are one of the places where our fanbase is growing very quickly. While the scum can play before packed-out stadia there, I think you'd find that we ended up playing before crowds in the single-digit thousands, and I'm not convinced, in a country where "soccer" is quite far down the pecking order, as it is in most former British Empire countries (ironically), that us going there for a week would even create the kind of attention that would win us many fans. I'd rather we wait before we've become a bit more successful and can attract bigger crowds, even if it disappoints the Aussie fans we currently do have (sorry guys).
as a fellow Commonwealth Citizen but non-Aussie i thought it was quite the contrary and perhaps the amount of City fans would be roughly equal to the amount of rag fans down in Oz. so i'm naturally very disappointed to hear this coming from Aussie blues like yourselves.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.