To the list I would add...
Mother macs
The jolly angler
The waldorf
The ox noble
The bulls head
The star and garter
The old garatt.
If theyre all still with us...as a relatively small city centre it's perhaps suprising how many trad boozers are still with us...

To the list I would add...
Mother macs
The jolly angler
The waldorf
The ox noble
The bulls head
The star and garter
The old garatt.
If theyre all still with us...as a relatively small city centre it's perhaps suprising how many trad boozers are still with us...

Oh I am not disputing we have a load, but do we easily allow them to be closed or remodelled

I left those pubs off because the garratt has been ruined with redecoration several times, Also bar monroes the bulls head is the only pub on a stretch that had 5 pubs previous.
Jolly angler is more like a speakeasy, knock on and he might let you in.
And star and garter only opens for speacial nights.

The chop houses like the bridge are more restaraunt than pubs, mulligans yeah is old boozer but rag central, edgerton kings, rovers rtn, black lion & eagle are all salford.
I said town hall tav in earlier post I would class that as same as ape n apple and garratt as ruined by renovation.

Oh I am not disputing we have a load, but do we easily allow them to be closed or remodelled

I left thos pubs off because the garratt has been ruined with redecoration several times, Also bar monroes the bulls head is the only pub on a stretch that had 5 pubs previous.
Jolly angler is more like a speakeasy, knock on and he might let you in.
Amd star and garter only opens for speacial nights.
Yeah, we let them go too easily, Mcr civic society and camera whinge a bit but that is all....There used to be loads in what is now the nq. ..they would be worth fortunes now...that new old style gaff the able heywood is always busy...
Sorry to hear about the wheatsheaf...but by Christ they had run it right down

Yeah, we let them go too easily, Mcr civic society and camera whinge a bit but that is all....There used to be loads in what is now the nq. ..they would be worth fortunes now...that new old style gaff the able heywood is always busy...
Sorry to hear about the wheatsheaf...but by Christ they had run it right down

They have, used to be alright after the match but the last year they have let it go to the dogs.

Maybe it's just because I have spent many a day/night in it the last 20 yrs or so like other pubs now gone that I am just a wee bit sad to see another go.
Or maybe I am just getting old as if in the NQ it tends to be the hairy, turks, smithfield, C&K and fringe I go in, abel is alright bit £3.80 for hyde original is a pisstake imo, but thomas st I ain't enamoured with tbh.
I do like pie n ale and jimmys and a couple of others but feel more at home in the grey horse or city and vine.

Oh I forgot the unicorn lovely old boozer.

F
They have, used to be alright after the match but the last year they have let it go to the dogs.

Mayne ot's jist necause I habe spent mamy a day/night in it the last 20 yrs or so like other pubs now gone that I am jist a wee bit sad to see another go.
Or maybe I am just getting old as if in the NQ it temds to be the hairy, turks, smitjfield, C&K and fringe I go in, abel is alright bit £3.80 for hyde original is a pisstake imo, but thomas st I ain't enamoured with tbh.
I do like pie n ale and jimmys and a couple of otgers bit feel more at home in tge grey horse or city and vine.

Oh I forgot the unicorn lovely old boozer.
Ha, we both forgot the unicorn,!....
I would possibly be in the same orbit as you pub wise...tend to use the castle and the Hare these days when the Mrs has not dragged me in somewhere poncy

bur are they considered more disposable that they are willing to be sacrificed, like the abercrombe was going to be.

Some places these days only have to exhibit a certain level of shabbiness that the owners are not going to remedy than they become prime targets for developers. More gained out of selling and developing than owning. I think it's always been thus!

I ask because it has been anounced that the wheatsheaf just off tib st is to close down and turned into residential property.

Now this place may not have been everybodies cup of tea, but thats another old style boozer going in town.
Yes we have bars and a vibrant drinking scene all around parts of the city centre, but I can count 20, maybe, all the old boozers left that haven't been re-fit and modernized.

The abercrombe would be going if not for public defiance and the sailisbury amd grand central are still under threat.

I have recently been for weekends to York, Donny, Liverpool, Sheffiled and leeds amd all are still abundant with old pubs (some maybe a bit ropey mind) and just wondered do we appreciate this part of our heritage as a city , we know the council don't they will flatten any old building for a souless new build.

Pubs I can think of still old fashioned

Pevil
Brittons
Salisbury
City
Vine
Shambles
City arms
Castle
Gulivers (just)
sawyers
deansgate
white lion
hairy
angel
marble
burton
smithfield
crown n kettle
Shakey
Grey horse
Seven oaks
circus.
fringe
Abercrombe
Old monkey
Rising sun
paddys goose
Waldorf

Salford side we have a fair few too.

Places like the old nags head, ape and apple, spoons, the goose, town hall tav, the brunswick have all been or are pretty shitely turned out nowadays.

Also those tgat list is 20+ they are quite spread.out across the city, for example in liverpools georgian qrtr there is about 10 old boozers within streets of each other alongside new bars.

So do we do let our old boozers down or is that lost above a sign we hare keeping our hiatory safe?
I would add the Hare and Hounds (Joey Holts, Shudehill ) but since the Waldorf has had a re-fit I think that it is borderline.

I would add the Hare and Hounds (Joey Holts, Shudehill ) but since the Waldorf has had a re-fit I think that it is borderline.
It was mentioned!...(The Hairy), for the record its not a Holts pub, its a freehouse that sells Holts!...Agreed, wouldn't be that keen on the Waldorf, but it is an old pub building..

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.