Has she a point?

I've not trawled through all 9 pages of responses but those i have read seem to be trashing this woman. I'm afraid i disagree - this woman has my complete and total support.
Mate of mine organised a birthday meal recently and one of our party was in a wheelchair. After checking with the restaurant 3/4 times beforehand that all would be ok, when we got there he had to wait outside in the pissing rain for 10 minutes while the staff cleared all the crap they stored in there under-used disabled accessway. The guy in the chair was fine about it, albeit rather wet, the guy who organised the meal was absolutely fuming. Somewhat ruined his birthday for him.
I could quote other recent examples i've seen of a lack of consideration to disabled people so i'll have to disagree with the majority of posters here

I've not trawled through all 9 pages of responses but those i have read seem to be trashing this woman. I'm afraid i disagree - this woman has my complete and total support.
Mate of mine organised a birthday meal recently and one of our party was in a wheelchair. After checking with the restaurant 3/4 times beforehand that all would be ok, when we got there he had to wait outside in the pissing rain for 10 minutes while the staff cleared all the crap they stored in there under-used disabled accessway. The guy in the chair was fine about it, albeit rather wet, the guy who organised the meal was absolutely fuming. Somewhat ruined his birthday for him.
I could quote other recent examples i've seen of a lack of consideration to disabled people so i'll have to disagree with the majority of posters here
That’s quite a bit different to this case isn’t it?

This woman has demanded a sign language “performer” for a Little Mix concert which wasn’t advertised, got her own way and then complained that she wasn’t on for the support acts. She needs to know when she has won.

To compare it to your friends birthday meal is ridiculous.

In this specific case, and i've only read the link on p1, it would appear to me that it is the promoter's responsibility to make these reasonable adjustments. For them to effectively say, here's a free carers tickets and sort yourself out seems an inadequate repsonse to me. Their reaction to a solicitors letter reminding them of responsibities under the Equality Act would appear to support this. Although the promoters did get their act together, they still fell somewhat short. I suspect if the promoters had got their act together at the outset, then we wouldn't be where we are now. I think the problem really stems from their initial response and their attempts to evade their responsibility from the outset. So yes - I do support her.
Also, I agree that the birthday meal comparison is an irrelevance. In my defence, I'd had bad night's sleep coughing myself awake most of the night so was not probably thinking too clearly. Not sure I'm thinking that clearly now to be honest.

In this specific case, and i've only read the link on p1, it would appear to me that it is the promoter's responsibility to make these reasonable adjustments. For them to effectively say, here's a free carers tickets and sort yourself out seems an inadequate repsonse to me. Their reaction to a solicitors letter reminding them of responsibities under the Equality Act would appear to support this. Although the promoters did get their act together, they still fell somewhat short. I suspect if the promoters had got their act together at the outset, then we wouldn't be where we are now. I think the problem really stems from their initial response and their attempts to evade their responsibility from the outset. So yes - I do support her.
Also, I agree that the birthday meal comparison is an irrelevance. In my defence, I'd had bad night's sleep coughing myself awake most of the night so was not probably thinking too clearly. Not sure I'm thinking that clearly now to be honest.

I agree mate but stayed out of it.
Sometimes you just know you won’t change the minds of neanderthals so it isn’t worth trying.

Absolutely fuck all in comparison. Your mate has every right to be able to access anywhere you can in his wheelchair.
She’s just taking the piss. I have a deaf friend who dances along to music as he ‘feels’ the beat and thoroughly enjoys himself, she’s just being an arse regarding lyrics as she can feel the music with her daughter, no need to know every exact word being sung, and actually she could just have the lyrics printed out for her if she really needed to know them.
She’s just an attention seeking twat wanting her 15 minutes of fame.

Absolutely fuck all in comparison. Your mate has every right to be able to access anywhere you can in his wheelchair.
She’s just taking the piss. I have a deaf friend who dances along to music as he ‘feels’ the beat and thoroughly enjoys himself, she’s just being an arse regarding lyrics as she can feel the music with her daughter, no need to know every exact word being sung, and actually she could just have the lyrics printed out for her if she really needed to know them.
She’s just an attention seeking twat wanting her 15 minutes of fame.
I think I might sue My Bloody Valentine - I can't hear a f*cking word they're saying either.

That’s quite a bit different to this case isn’t it?

This woman has demanded a sign language “performer” for a Little Mix concert which wasn’t advertised, got her own way and then complained that she wasn’t on for the support acts. She needs to know when she has won.

To compare it to your friends birthday meal is ridiculous.
Very much this.

The two situations aren’t even remotely comparable.

Good luck trying to get a signer who can keep up with all the words at an Eminem concert.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.