Has this been the best world cup ever?

the brazilian team from 1970 was the best i have ever seen , and the whole tournament from Mexico , was absolute quality , even england has some decent players.

gmckennasell said:
the brazilian team from 1970 was the best i have ever seen , and the whole tournament from Mexico , was absolute quality , even england has some decent players.

Not including Jeff fucking Astle ;-)

Diving(which the ref's were on top mostly) plus a shite English side asside - it was top

A lot of competitive games, one classic extra time (USA v Belgium) and a worthy winner, but few great players (Robben and MDM excepted) and the quality of football was well below City's performances last year. Hated the foam.

unicorn said:
A lot of competitive games, one classic extra time (USA v Belgium) and a worthy winner, but few great players (Robben and MDM excepted) and the quality of football was well below City's performances last year. Hated the foam.

Game of the tournament

Italia 90 I loved, although considered low scoring I loved seeing the likes of baggio, schillachi, mattheus, klinsmann, voller, Lineker, gazza, Roger Milla etc on show. Even the likes of canniga and maradona too. As usual loads of heartache too. I quite liked world cup 98 and enjoyed this world cup a lot. A lot of goals, shocks and dodgy refs. The knockouts were a bit slow though. Watching the argies all through the tournament were painful

Crouchinho said:
Italia 90 I loved, although considered low scoring I loved seeing the likes of baggio, schillachi, mattheus, klinsmann, voller, Lineker, gazza, Roger Milla etc on show. Even the likes of canniga and maradona too. As usual loads of heartache too. I quite liked world cup 98 and enjoyed this world cup a lot. A lot of goals, shocks and dodgy refs. The knockouts were a bit slow though. Watching the argies all through the tournament were painful

Considering the attacking talent they have, they've been a let down, I'm glad Germany won in the end. They sorely miss someone like Riquelme.

not for me, though entertaining, I think it demonstrates that the standard is declining with the likes of Costa Rica and Algeria making it that far, rather than it being down to them genuinely making strides, although they both played well.

Too many top players now are struggling with injuries, maybe the game has become too athletic, the final was spoilt by Messi, Di Maria and Aguero all being crocked and knackered, and I also think the art of defending has been left behind. Yes it means we get more high scoring games, but can anyone really say they enjoyed the spectacle of Brazil being so awful? It just wasn't in the spirit of the World Cup, and we've lost so many top defenders from 10/15 years ago and they haven't been replaced, attacking teams should earn their goals through good football. I also don't think there was a star of the World Cup and there was no truly magical football, just plenty of poor defending and the difference between sides came down to penalty area bottle.

There were also too many squads with a couple of star players but the rest of the side held them back. I think that may been indicative of a move in academies to try and find star talent, especially at smaller clubs to sell on for a huge profit, rather than bringing teams through academies, which seems to be an art lost in the 90s, bar the odd exception. The standard of teams midfields, were generally poor, with little creativity, indeed reliant on #10s or tricky wingers which left games a bit one-dimensional. I think Barca pushed it too far one way, and the reaction is back to this quick, direct sort of style but it means that we've lost a bit of the magic imo, we need someone, hopefully City, to find a balance between the two.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.