Has this been the best world cup ever?

It's the best world cup that have seen in my lifetime. I have seen most of the other finals and have watched a lot of the 1970 world cup, which still remains the best for me. Not only did it have the best England team, but it had the fantastic Germany vs Italy semi and probably the best team of all time winning it under immense pressure.

After the group games I might have said yes but the knockout games were mostly poor so a resounding no from me.

bluemoon32 said:
After the group games I might have said yes but the knockout games were mostly poor so a resounding no from me.

Yep have to agree - fell asleep 2 or 3 times during the knock out phase and even went to bed once before the end of one game , I was that fed up with 0-0 ers aet
Prolly the best WC party ever but I´m even too old for that now - pfftt....

Agreed. It was too easy for organised teams to lock out even the best teams. Complete lack of flair going forward. Even in the group phases, it was mainly individual brilliance or errors that lead to goals. There wasn't a single, great attacking team in the tournament.

As far as I remember (watching WC-tournaments ever since 1970), not the best. Yet probably one of the best. Didn't beat 1974 mainly due to the Dutch and Cruyff, and 1982 mainly due to a fantastic samba-Brasilian team. Both didn't win it.

No side brought a different or exiting style. The big players all disappointed and no new players stood up. Obviously there were some cracking games, a few upsets, but also plenty of stalemates and games killed by the chance of getting knocked out.
As for the commercial aspect ... well, it was held in the wrong country. BUt that's another discussion.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.