"He never struck me as being a potential manager...."

m27

S-A-L-F-O-R-D Salford Blues MCFC, S-A-L-F-O-R-D Sa
I didn't make the journey lasy night and had to make do with Sky. When Terry Venables was asked about Hughes as a player at Barcelona last night he said that he didn't envisage him ever being a manager as he was just a "quiet lad".

Now this isn't the first time I've heard this from his ex-managers and team mates and it has got me wondering. I was a staunch supporter of Hughes last season to the point of nearly getting my head stoved in at Ewood Park when we were 2-0 down and a group near to me started singing "Hughes Out!". Luckily it all subsided when our second went in. I was of the opinion that Hughes had a lot to sort out behind the scenes and he should be given a summer to get rid of the bad eggs and bring his own signings in.

I thought my faith was justified after our start but now I'm just left feeling frustrated and I'm of the opinion that Hughes isn't cut out for the job.....but why isn't he? If Venables, Ferguson, Bruce, Robson and others are to be believed then he certainly isn't a natural leader. If he was a quiet type in the dressing room you don't just suddenly become Winston Churchill and a master tactician as soon as you hang up your boots. I'm not saying you can't grow into being a decent manager but is decent what we really want?

Whenever I have read about the top managers and all their old team mates are dragged out of the woodwork you always hear the same line, "He was born to be a manager." Is management just a career for Hughes rather than a passion? He can lead certain men and Craig Bellamy has Bobby Robson and Hughes up there with the best managers he has played under. Yet Bellamy obviously responds to a certain style of man managment, I suspect if you try the same style on Adebayor you will get fuck all out of him. Ireland responded brilliantly last season to Hughes but now that's all forgotten as Ireland seems lost in the current system. Yet to be where we want to be we need all 11 players motivated and ready to run through brick walls for the manager, not just three or four. It was also interesting to hear Stuart Pearce extolling the virtues of Harry Redknapp's man managment skills and it is a quality that it has never struck me that Hughes possesses. I don't know the man though, I could be wrong.

For everything a reason, and this is my theory as to why we are struggling at the moment (and we are struggling, please don't hide behind the two losses statistic), Mark Hughes simply has not got the leadership qualities to take us where we want to go. It's actually a shame for Hughes as well because if he had learnt his trade 'under the radar' at other clubs akin to Blackburn over the next ten years he could have been well equipped down the line to get a top job. Unfortunately, it's all come too soon it seems.

Please don't give it the "Oh great, another Hughes out thread" because it's not as such. I've tried to establish what excatly the problem is, why Hughes isn't the man (if indeed he isn't of course, we could go on a ten match winning streak and I'd be happy to eat my words) and why giving him time, might not actually be the best way forward as giving him time will only result in the same pattern of results and performances we have seen throughout his stay here (one week brilliant, next week awful, following week average...).

A criticism I made last season looking from afar, is that he seems to have a "one size fits all" approach to management.

The very best can adapt their management style to suit individuals in the squad.

Hughes (rightly or wrongly) seems to expect the same from everyone regardless of their strengths and weaknesses, and seems to treat everyone the same way.

All well and good if you are a player that responds to that particular method of leadership, not so good if you're a player that needs something a bit different. To be honest I've not seen any signs of player dissastisfaction so far this season (last night was a worry), but it would be interesting if more are shipped out under the guise of "trouble makers".

moomba said:
A criticism I made last season looking from afar, is that he seems to have a "one size fits all" approach to management.

The very best can adapt their management style to suit individuals in the squad.

Hughes (rightly or wrongly) seems to expect the same from everyone regardless of their strengths and weaknesses, and seems to treat everyone the same way.

All well and good if you are a player that responds to that particular method of leadership, not so good if you're a player that needs something a bit different. To be honest I've not seen any signs of player dissastisfaction so far this season (last night was a worry), but it would be interesting if more are shipped out under the guise of "trouble makers".

Last night was a real worry in terms of morale. It sounds daft sometimes when you talk about "poor body language" but for large periods of the game last night it was like watching eleven Gio's under Frank Clark thinking "What the fuck am I doing here? I really can't be arsed with this."

I wouldn't give what Venables says much creedence.The guy has done fuck all in football since Kajagoogoo were number one in the charts.He lives on his time at Barca.
The most overated manager of all time.

From what I read from the daily training report here and on other several City sites, I'm sure our players are more familiar with Mark Bowen's voice than Hughes's. ;)

moomba said:

I wouldn't have thought that Old BaconFace fitted the 'adaptable' mode of managers. His style is very one dimensional, and those who have projected any of their own individual personality or, Heaven forfend, challenged the old git, they were pretty soon out of the door. There's a long string of them. There is at every club, one guy in charge. No problem when it's going well, but so far this season, Whinger has gone ballistic, Aunty Lotty at the Bridge has raised the roof. It might be that Hughes' style is less histrionic. If players cannot respond to it without seeing it as weak, it's a poor show. They are paid to put their bodies on the line for the fans. To give the last ounce of energy.

Dave Ewing's Back 'eader said:
moomba said:

I wouldn't have thought that Old BaconFace fitted the 'adaptable' mode of managers. His style is very one dimensional, and those who have projected any of their own individual personality or, Heaven forfend, challenged the old git, they were pretty soon out of the door. There's a long string of them. There is at every club, one guy in charge. No problem when it's going well, but so far this season, Whinger has gone ballistic, Aunty Lotty at the Bridge has raised the roof. It might be that Hughes' style is less histrionic. If players cannot respond to it without seeing it as weak, it's a poor show. They are paid to put their bodies on the line for the fans. To give the last ounce of energy.

That's true regarding the players. But when you reach that level every single player in the League is supposed to be trying their hardest. The top class managers get that extra 10% out of them. Also, Baconface has gone on record and said that he has had to adapt his style as the game has changed over the years. He's a bully no doubt, but it's easier to bully players when you have the CV he has. Sad, but true.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.