Helen Turner at the 1969 FA Cup Final

Helen was a fixture at the front of the North Stand from when it was built which was as I started going. I don't know about before then.

In hard times the bell was like a rallying call. It was something that only City had.

I met her a couple of times at the MRI when visiting family and also had the 'pleasure' of being on her coach (not City's) on a few trips to London with the future Mrs Moon. Good times.

As I'm typing this I've just got a shiver down my spine from the Everton game? when her bell was rung after she passed away.

She'll be making a right racket in the North Stand in the sky now.

Enjoyed reading some great memories here about 1969.

I didn't have enough vouchers that season to get a ticket from the Club so had to buy one from the resident ticket tout in the UCP on Market St. I'll never forget that me and my 3 mates paid £6 each for 15 Shillings standing tickets (still have the stub) and in the Leicester end. I only had £7 in my bank account until next payday so it almost cleaned me out.

Six Quid for a ticket was almost a week's wages in those days, but Cup Final tickets were like gold dust and the FA Cup Final was THE big football event of the season. It's criminal the way the FA have allowed it to be pushed down the pecking order nowadays.

blingy said:
helenthe bellsgrandson said:
As Helens Grandson i have to say she never supported the rags before football she followed rugby St Helens and Leeds she changed to city when someone (i do not know who) took her to game, i hope to get the bell back to the club as soon as they reopen the museum

Your gramma was a huge influence on me and my brother and m8s as well as growing up in chorlton on medlock, as well as my uncles before me.
took us to the training ground to get us off the streets ( well to stop us banging the ball on her wall) took me to Wembley twice, brother had a season ticket with her from about 8 year old till he was 15
Great woman, great fan,
my gran brought me up around the corner from Hellen and we used to get our flowers from her every sunday.
Is the bell at the football museum? , it deserves to be at the club in some kind of museum.
Huge respect for your gramma from me and our family

If the famous bell is still in existence, then it would be fantastic if it could be heard at the stadium again. Perhaps it could be rung at the game nearest Christmas when we remember those blues that have fallen over the past year?

Anyone recall the game at Coventry in the 80's when the West Midland's constabulary were brave enough to go into the seats and take the bell off her?
As soon as the plod had gone she reached into her bag and pulled out a mini bell and rang it proudly to the cheers of Blues who launched into ''Helen is a big fat football hooligan''

I also fondly recall the Blackpool away FA Cup game in 84 as me and my mate Jim smuggle 2 cans of beer each onto the A coach (we tried our best not to book onto A coach to no avail) and drank them leaning forward and downwards so she couldn't see us!

Helen Helen ring your bell, Helen ring your bell

G'Ding G'Ding G'Ding G'Ding

Helen is a big fat football hooligan

goaters shinpad said:
blingy said:
helenthe bellsgrandson said:
As Helens Grandson i have to say she never supported the rags before football she followed rugby St Helens and Leeds she changed to city when someone (i do not know who) took her to game, i hope to get the bell back to the club as soon as they reopen the museum

Your gramma was a huge influence on me and my brother and m8s as well as growing up in chorlton on medlock, as well as my uncles before me.
took us to the training ground to get us off the streets ( well to stop us banging the ball on her wall) took me to Wembley twice, brother had a season ticket with her from about 8 year old till he was 15
Great woman, great fan,
my gran brought me up around the corner from Hellen and we used to get our flowers from her every sunday.
Is the bell at the football museum? , it deserves to be at the club in some kind of museum.
Huge respect for your gramma from me and our family

If the famous bell is still in existence, then it would be fantastic if it could be heard at the stadium again. Perhaps it could be rung at the game nearest Christmas when we remember those blues that have fallen over the past year?

I'm shore the bell still around, had a feeling it may be at the national football museum, but never seen it there although iv looked for it to show my lad along with Bert's neck brace from the cup final, had a thought that it was rang there when they did the bell ringing around the country to mark the Olympic Games starting last year, or that may have been some other bell??

Good to see her image in stadium tour too.

How good would a motion/holographic Helen The Bell photo be in the concourse? The characters of Maine Rd and City are as much about who we are as the history.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.