here we go its SVEN

The Sven issue still haunts City, it would seem. There's really no need for it to. On the one hand is the pro-Hughes camp, who slag off Sven to validate Hughes. On the other side is the anti-Hughes camp, who praise Sven to invalidate Hughes.

There is no need to do this. My thesis on Hughes is simple: it's too early to say how good he is, as City are not a club that were capable of being turned around in a hurry, irrespective of the money spent (equivalent, in my view, to saying, well if Robinho is paid £160k a week he 'shouldn't be tired' - some things take time no matter how much money is thrown at them).

Part of this is down to the state that City were in when Sven left. The squad was in a poor shape: imbalanced; full of inconsistent and demotivated players; a mix of potential and past it old pros; in short, a potential relegation candidate, especially considering the later injuries to Johnson and Petrov, and there was chaos behind the scenes; whence the frequent slagging-off of Sven.

However, though some of this may have been Sven's fault, it was by no means principally down to him. A mixture of only a year in the job, a disastrous squad when he took over, a chaotic and impossible owner, years of under investment, etc., were the main culprits. Reference to the fact that City were shit by the end of last season, and on a serious downward spiral, are correct, no matter what some people on this board have argued. That doesn't mean that Sven was crap, though; he too would have had a good chance at remedying the situation with the Arab money.

Sven will not, I don't think, be returning to City, or to any other big premier league club (though you never know on the latter). I'm sorry that his tenure at City ended as it did, and I'll always be curious to know how he would've done here given longer in the job, but he's gone and it's time to move on. We can both recognise the problems of the Sven era AND the fact that he's a good manager who is in no way entirely responsible for those problems.

yep i can buy that braggs.... i still feel a little bitter, that when thaksin showed his true colours, Sven handled things in the way that suited Sven best, without too much regard for what was in fact best for our club. if i accept that he was put in an awful position, I suppose i have to forgive him this. sad that it ended that day in middlesborough, because it probably means that he cant really be like the ex-girlfriend who you gladly invite to your wedding.

Jeez-there's some serious re-writing of history here!

For those who refuse to acknowledge FACTS and say that Sven is a "wanker," a "loser" or other such ludicrous insults....plaese refer to my earlier post.
The guy is the fifth most decorated manager of all time and has the second best win record with England so stop making yourselves look silly with your footballing ignorance.
Those are FACTS,not emotional opinions based on the 8-1 defeat at 'boro and personal perception of what constitutes a "soft" manager.

Sven inherited a team that was a statistical cert for relegation the following season-and again,I base that on the fact that we had scored 10 goals at home all season-a top flight record that not even the official "worst PL team of all time"-Sunderland,can beat.
In just over four weeks,he constructed a team built from the left-overs of the Pearce and Keegan regimes plus several signings that had him ridiculed as "unknowns" by the scum press-and for half the season they delivered the best football I have seen at City since the early 70's...and despite being totally undermined by the demands of Thaksin,culminating in a top ten finish and European qualification.

Quite how that makes the guy a failure or some kind of pariah astounds me-and you ungraetful,short-memoried no-nowts on here slagging him off should ask yourselves who could've done a better job in the time available and who else could have transformed us from the dourest team in the league to top four candidates for two thirds of the season?

I rest my case.

bizzbo said:
oh well if getting in the top four for a bit is the question, phil brown is yer man

Brown has worked a miracle in keeping that bunch in the top half of the league for as long as he did.

Or don't you acknowledge that either?

When you're in a hole,the best thing to do is to stop digging.

twas a light hearted comment

i dont suppose we interpreted last years history the same, fair enough. i am entitled to my view though, and it's not one that relies on such nonsense as 'top four contenders for two thirds of the season'

RobbieBrewer said:
Jeez-there's some serious re-writing of history here!

For those who refuse to acknowledge FACTS and say that Sven is a "wanker," a "loser" or other such ludicrous insults....plaese refer to my earlier post.
The guy is the fifth most decorated manager of all time and has the second best win record with England so stop making yourselves look silly with your footballing ignorance.
Those are FACTS,not emotional opinions based on the 8-1 defeat at 'boro and personal perception of what constitutes a "soft" manager.

Sven inherited a team that was a statistical cert for relegation the following season-and again,I base that on the fact that we had scored 10 goals at home all season-a top flight record that not even the official "worst PL team of all time"-Sunderland,can beat.
In just over four weeks,he constructed a team built from the left-overs of the Pearce and Keegan regimes plus several signings that had him ridiculed as "unknowns" by the scum press-and for half the season they delivered the best football I have seen at City since the early 70's...and despite being totally undermined by the demands of Thaksin,culminating in a top ten finish and European qualification.

Quite how that makes the guy a failure or some kind of pariah astounds me-and you ungraetful,short-memoried no-nowts on here slagging him off should ask yourselves who could've done a better job in the time available and who else could have transformed us from the dourest team in the league to top four candidates for two thirds of the season?

I rest my case.

Most of that's fair, but the European qualification bit is pretty ludicrous, as I'm sure you are aware.

Also I'm not sure that the football in the first half of the season was that easy on the eye - Newcastle at home was the last really good performance until maybe Newcastle away, or perhaps Spurs at home. Still, that's nitpicking. He did a good job. The end of the season was unfortunate, and I do feel he could've put the club's interests higher up the agenda, despite being undermined. Many managers would have been no better, but it still leaves a slightly bitter taste in the mouth.

bizzbo said:
twas a light hearted comment

i dont suppose we interpreted last years history the same, fair enough. i am entitled to my view though, and it's not one that relies on such nonsense as 'top four contenders for two thirds of the season'

You are mate-fair play.

But we were up there for two thirds of the season......at least to me......either that or it must've been a very long weekend....;-)

ahh you know i was actually dreaming of top four football right up til wigan at home last year ;) In retrospect i felt pretty foolish about the whole thing, and i guess i chose to forget how unreal the start to last season was.... still, we'll always have the derbies, eh

bluepeter62 said:
moomba said:
Loved what did Sven did to the club, and how he represented it.

He was a credit to MCFC, and it's a shame that people want to slag him so much now he's gone.

Don't really want, or expect to see him back though.

Don't talk shite! He was crap with England, City and now Mexico. He is the biggest conman in football.

Of course he won his first 9 games at home. Scraping past Derby, Sunderland, Birmingham, Villa and Reading to name a few.

If Hart had missed that kick off the line against Newcastle we would have been 2 down. This was the only game when I felt entertained at home. We had eight men behind the ball at home for most of the season and it was fucking boring!!!
he did the double over the scum

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.