Hifi system for playing vinyl

So you wouldn’t recommend

Nordost Valhalla 2 Reference UK Power Cord - 2m Length Ex-Demo​

for a cut price £4,995?
after all, . Nordost also adopted a unique approach to sales, openly demonstrating the performance of their products against the competition. This confidence was well placed and the strategy proved a sure-fire winner, the legendary Nordost cable demos remaining high on the must-hear list for audiophiles attending hi-fi shows around the world.

Who can argue with that.
People who witnessed one…

People who witnessed one…
Fair play, that is pretty unique ;-)

And on the subject of speakers...

The snake oil peddlers in the 1970's and 80's - largely those obsessed with Linn products and the Linn Sondek L12 turntable in particular - who would claim that the source, i.e. the turntable, then the tonearem, then the cartridge, were the most important components in a hifi system. And that the source is more important than the amp, which is turn is more important than the speakers.

Whereas in fact the opposite is true. The speakers these days contribute MILES more to the overall sound quality. Spending more on the speakers nearly always results in very obvious, audible improvements. Spending more on e.g. a CD player or amp? Hardly at all. Maybe it's still a bit true that more on a turntable will help, but without a doubt, speakers is where the focus should be.

A £200 CD player feeding a £200 amp and £600 speakers, will sound miles better than a £600 CD player feeding a £200 amp and £200 speakers.

The snake oil peddlers in the 1970's and 80's - largely those obsessed with Linn products and the Linn Sondek L12 turntable in particular - who would claim that the source, i.e. the turntable, then the tonearem, then the cartridge, were the most important components in a hifi system. And that the source is more important than the amp, which is turn is more important than the speakers.

Whereas in fact the opposite is true. The speakers these days contribute MILES more to the overall sound quality. Spending more on the speakers nearly always results in very obvious, audible improvements. Spending more on e.g. a CD player or amp? Hardly at all. Maybe it's still a bit true that more on a turntable will help, but without a doubt, speakers is where the focus should be.

A £200 CD player feeding a £200 amp and £600 speakers, will sound miles better than a £600 CD player feeding a £200 amp and £200 speakers.
Spend a decent amount of money on a CD player and not the bargain basement prices you quote and you’ll hear the importance of a decent source.
And the OP wants a vinyl source any way.
Where the old mantra is quite demonstrably true.

Spend a decent amount of money on a CD player and not the bargain basement prices you quote and you’ll hear the importance of a decent source.
And the OP wants a vinyl source any way.
Where the old mantra is quite demonstrably true.
Of course there are certain minimums, and yes with a source as a turntable, you probably do need to spend quite a bit on one to get it to sound half-decent. (Why not go the whole hog and get a wax cylinder system or a HMV style dog leaning into the horn!)

Don't get me wrong, I quite like the idea of a turntable myself - they are quite twee. But really, pound for pound, in the 21st century, they are objectively not very good. Tidal or Qobuz or Amazon Music HD and a decent streamer is a way better option IMO.

Last edited:
Of course there are certain minimums, and yes with a source as a turntable, you probably do need to spend quite a bit on one to get it to sound half-decent. (Why not go the whole hog and get a wax cylinder system or a HMV style dog leaning into the horn!)

Don't get me wrong, I quite like the idea of a turntable myself - they are quite twee. But really, pound for pound, in the 21st century, they are objectively not very good. Tidal or Qobuz or Amazon Music HD and a decent streamer is a way better option IMO.

Or have both?

You are missing the point mate. It's the collecting and tactile nature that draws you in. I have records. I have CD's. I stream. I even have tapes. Depends on my mood but if a whole album is going to be listened to I like to do it with vinyl. Just feels better.

Absolutely.

and if you have a good DAC even a portable cd plugged into it will sound as good as a £1000 transport. Your only as good as the DAC/amp/speakers

Or have both?

You are missing the point mate. It's the collecting and tactile nature that draws you in. I have records. I have CD's. I stream. I even have tapes. Depends on my mood but if a whole album is going to be listened to I like to do it with vinyl. Just feels better.
Oh for sure - I get that. I have a pretty decent hifi myself (NAD M33 + Revel M126be's) but still have been considering getting a TT. There's something rather nice and organic about the whole vinyl experience. Also - although this is not a widely held view amongst hifi buffs - I am quite happy with the concept of something being technically not very good, but which sounds great. Most purists think "accurate = best" and "accurate = most lifelike". I don't agree. I think "best sounding = best" even if that is technically a bit crap. Take valve amps, for example. They are technically quite dross, but actually just sound nice... sometimes at least. The warm, 2nd harmonic rich, valve "sound" is quite nice, if not accurate.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.