High mileage vehicles.

Recently traded in my 19-year-old BMW 530d with just under 200K on the clock. Never broke down, changed a few consumables over time, just started to leak a few fluids and getting a bit too shabby. I'm sure it'll serve someone else well as a runaround for a couple more years. Always keep my cars on a private plate to avoid the need to change every few years.
Serious question and not having a go but....Dont you think that by keeping an old car on a private plate you are telling everyone ' I'm ashamed to have an old car so I'll try and hide the fact with a private plate ' . At that age nowadays it's not far off a modern classic.

Serious question and not having a go but....Dont you think that by keeping an old car on a private plate you are telling everyone ' I'm ashamed to have an old car so I'll try and hide the fact with a private plate ' . At that age nowadays it's not far off a modern classic.
Fair point - I had it since new and have always had the plate for years before. Nowadays I don't think people pay much attention to when the plate flips over, especially as it's twice a year.

I certainly wasn't ashamed to have an old car - I took great delight in telling people who said I should upgrade what I was doing with the £500/month I saved on finance/lease/PCP, with little sacrifice of comfort or amenity.

I intend to keep my current 5 series for as long as I can as well.

Fair point - I had it since new and have always had the plate for years before. Nowadays I don't think people pay much attention to when the plate flips over, especially as it's twice a year.

I certainly wasn't ashamed to have an old car - I took great delight in telling people who said I should upgrade what I was doing with the £500/month I saved on finance/lease/PCP, with little sacrifice of comfort or amenity.

Great cars, I had 525 years ago and my dad couldn't understand why the bigger engine, he had a 520...I told him most people drove the 520 like it was a 525 anyway and I got 1mpg more...winner winner

Thats about a £100k saved in lease fees.

I have an Audi A4 59 plate. 145k miles. I've had it for 5 years now and in that time i've done about 50k miles. Served me really well, but the door locks don't work on it and some of the interior trim is broken.

It wouldn't bother me having an older car, but I can't change my music by bluetooth or link my phone up properly. But I can do 60mpg and it's pretty fast. It's supposed to be the 143bhp version, but mechanic reckons it's been remapped at some point.

I bought a Toyota Corolla years ago with 9,000 miles on the clock. I had it about ten years and sold it with 190,000 on. Same clutch and exhaust still on it. Most reliable car I ever had.

Had my 09 Passat for 10 years, it's at around 186k now, recently had it remapped, it's now running around 210bhp, and drives a lot smoother with the extra power.

Not bad for a diesel, still get 50+mpg if driving sensibly. As always the trick with diesels is regular oil and filter changes.
I've got a merc 3 litre v6 diesel twin turbo.
I had a stage 1 map done, it makes nearly 300hp at the wheels, and wait for it, 700nm of torque, which is what you want for real world driving. It redlines at 4250 rpm so it's hardly stressed.
I get an easy 45mpg on my 33 mile commute (mainly motorway)
Servicing is 200 a year.
Tax is cheap cos its low emissions.
It's 8 years old now but I really don't see the point in changing it, it's done 50k miles and still drives like new.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.