High mileage vehicles.

Going off at a slight tangent, I buy, restore, collect and use pre 1960s American outboard engines, so far I have 16 and the oldest one is a 1934 flat twin and the nicest, in my mind, is an almost mint condition 1955 Johnson, It runs like new and has spent its life on a Canadian lake by all accounts, which are frozen for most of the year, so little use.
These guys are over 60 years old and will still be around in another 60 years.

There is a good chance in the older high mileage ones the odometer has been replaced like everything else and so they don't get full credit.

Most taxis do circa 300k before retirement. In theory things like tyres and brake pads will wear out on any car so you might as well keep replacing on older cars. It's when the clutch goes or the engine starts leaking /burning oil that you have to think is it worth it. Most people get the newer car itch well before that.

Most taxis do circa 300k before retirement. In theory things like tyres and brake pads will wear out on any car so you might as well keep replacing on older cars. It's when the clutch goes or the engine starts leaking /burning oil that you have to think is it worth it. Most people get the newer car itch well before that.
I seem to remember the old black cabs in London were good for a million miles, clutches are pretty cheap to replace as a rule and always do the water pump at the same time

They used to use the 4 pot Nissan engine from the old Terranos ...bomb proof.
Nissan made some great motors, they did a two stroke outboard years ago, just a small one 3.5 hp I think. They’re highly sought after due to the light weight and durability

I've only had four cars since I started driving in 1988. All bought second hand with a few thousand on the clock, all made 150,000+ miles before giving up the ghost. My fourth and current one, a Toyota Aygo, has done 205,000 in the six years since I retired and still going well.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.