Honey G says it all really....
People rap cos they can't actually sing ! Sorry guys I am sure Adele could rap NOT sure how Eminem would handle rolling in the deep!

Rap appreciation ? Really? Talking to music!!
Tha DJ thing gets me too.....they can't sing or play instruments and think there celebs ! Laughable!

Rant over

People rap cos they can't actually sing ! Sorry guys I am sure Adele could rap NOT sure how Eminem would handle rolling in the deep!

Tha DJ thing gets me too.....they can't sing or play instruments and think there celebs ! Laughable!

Rant over
This isn't really the thread for you.

Bye!

Rant over
You’re talking as if music is supposed to be one style.

Anton Newcombe of The Brian Jonestown Massacre once said that singing doesn't have to be the be all and end all of a song. It can be just another instrument as part of the overall song. Loads of rock bands have lead singers who can’t sing. Anton is one of them. But they still produce great songs.

Rapping isn’t like that anyway, it’s not really anything to do with singing. Rapping is poetry. And good rappers can perform multisyllabic rhymes very skilfully with high level vocabulary (even if a lot is improper English and colloquial US city slang).

Hip hop music is the research and discovery of good funk or afrobeat music hooks that are repeated and brings the beat of the track together, accompanied by samples of jazz or funk or other melodies, that the poetry is delivered/performed over the top of as what is called rapping.

Unfortunately a lot of what is known as Hip hop is what I call Hip-pop. Like your reference to the woeful Eminem. The flakiest beats, the least pure Hip hip fundamentals in the music produced and the worst lyrically talented “rappers” are often the ones the music industry push and think will grab the masses. And they do. But they’re shit. And people who aren’t into Hip hop will only ever be exposed to this shit and that’s what they think Hip hop is.

A lot of modern mainstream Hip hop music and rappers don’t deserve to be called Hip hop or rappers because they have absolutely nothing to do with the genre of music it’s said to be part of, have no elements of pure Hip hop music and these rappers are in the Evo Stick league of skill when it comes to poetry and delivery of the words.

DJing is also a skill. Have a listen to Transitions vol.4 by John Digweed where he plays two or three techno tracks at the same time that fit together as if it sounds like one track being played. That isn’t just good DJing, it shows research skills and knowledge of what makes a good track for it to be pulled off in the quality it is on that mix album.

Hip hop DJs often try a bit too hard. Take the talented DJ Premier on the mix album New York Reality Check 101. He fucking butchers some excellently selected tracks on what should be a great album but isn’t due to his overwork of the scratching and re-starting of them. But he is still a talented bloke, much moreso because of his producing of top quality tracks himself rather than his DJing in my opinion.

But original Hip hop DJing where, like I said early, they find a little break in a funk or afrobeat track and scratch around that break - that’s proper Hip hop DJing, and it’s a proper skill.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm no conneisuer of this genre. Growing up in the 90's though I did listen to a bit of the standard type rap from the USA. Tupac, B.I.G, Busta Rhymes, Eminem Dr Dre etc.

However, London seems to have a bit of popular rap music scene. Maybe I'm lazily pigeonholing it as rap.

Anyway, listened to little simz latest album, grey area last week and I thought it was quite good. Also Slowthai has caught my ear on 6 music recently.

Any takers on either?

Rant over
I implore you to watch this short video if you think DJing is easy.

You’re talking as if music is supposed to be one style.

Anton Newcombe of The Brian Jonestown Massacre once said that singing doesn't have to be the be all and end all of a song. It can be just another instrument as part of the overall song. Loads of rock bands have lead singers who can’t sing. Anton is one of them. But they still produce great songs.

Rapping isn’t like that anyway, it’s not really anything to do with singing. Rapping is poetry. And good rappers can perform multisyllabic rhymes very skilfully with high level vocabulary (even if a lot is improper English and colloquial US city slang).

Hip hop music is the research and discovery of good funk or afrobeat music hooks that are repeated and brings the beat of the track together, accompanied by samples of jazz or funk or other melodies, that the poetry is delivered/performed over the top of as what is called rapping.

Unfortunately a lot of what is known as Hip hop is what I call Hip-pop. Like your reference to the woeful Eminem. The flakiest beats, the least pure Hip hip fundamentals in the music produced and the worst lyrically talented “rappers” are often the ones the music industry push and think will grab the masses. And they do. But they’re shit. And people who aren’t into Hip hop will only ever be exposed to this shit and that’s what they think Hip hop is.

A lot of modern mainstream Hip hop music and rappers don’t deserve to be called Hip hop or rappers because they have absolutely nothing to do with the genre of music it’s said to be part of, have no elements of pure Hip hop music and these rappers are in the Evo Stick league of skill when it comes to poetry and delivery of the words.

DJing is also a skill. Have a listen to Transitions vol.4 by John Digweed where he plays two or three techno tracks at the same time that fit together as if it sounds like one track being played. That isn’t just good DJing, it shows research skills and knowledge of what makes a good track for it to be pulled off in the quality it is on that mix album.

Hip hop DJs often try a bit too hard. Take the talented DJ Premier on the mix album New York Reality Check 101. He fucking butchers some excellently selected tracks on what should be a great album but isn’t due to his overwork of the scratching and re-starting of them. But he is still a talented bloke, much moreso because of his producing of top quality tracks himself rather than his DJing in my opinion.

But original Hip hop DJing where, like I said early, they find a little break in a funk or afrobeat track and scratch around that break - that’s proper Hip hop DJing, and it’s a proper skill.
Like poetry?......yeah I can see that.
" you say honey I say G, you say honey I say G"...........proper talented these rappers.....and where does all that funny shaped stuff they do with their hands while bobbing about in them oversized clothes?.....you can polish a turd all you want mate however in the cold light of day it's still a turd !

Like poetry?......yeah I can see that.
" you say honey I say G, you say honey I say G"...........proper talented these rappers.....and where does all that funny shaped stuff they do with their hands while bobbing about in them oversized clothes?.....you can polish a turd all you want mate however in the cold light of day it's still a turd !
Thanks for you input.

Back on track....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.