HKFC Citibank International Soccer Sevens(Hong Kong): MCFC

acton28.blog

Team supported
CITY/Aberystwyth Town
Is anyone in the UK or based in Macau/South China/HK going to this?
Has anyone been previously?

Can anyone recommend anywhere to stay (on a reasonably small budget)?
Where is the HEART OF THE CITY pub/bar for City fans? Okay found (http://www.mcfc.co.uk/news/club-news/2013/may/hotc-hong-kong)
Does anyone plan to stay all weekend/each day at the ground?

Schedule: http://www.hksoccersevens.com/fixtures-scores/match-schedule

More info: http://www.hksoccersevens.com/
Facebook link: https://www.facebook.com/hksoccer7s

24/5/14:
12 10:25 C Manchester City - Singapore Cricket Club
18 12:07 C Manchester City - HKFA Qualifier
24 13:49 C Manchester City - Rangers
25/5/14:
Finals.

Provisional squad: http://www.hksoccersevens.com/teams/team/manchester-city

Manager – Jason Wilcox (England)

Goalkeeper – Charlie Albinson (17)
Defenders – Nathaniel Oseni (17), Ashley Smith Brown (18), Pablo Maffeo (16; Spain), Jose Angel Tasende (17; Spain)
Midfielders – Kean Bryan (17), James Horsfield (18), Brandon Barker (17)
Forwards – Denzeil Boadu (17), Thierry Ambrose (17; France)

Note: ages in brackets; England unless stated

2013 record:
Group A
Drew with Yau Yee League Select 1-1
Beat Singapore Cricket Club 5-0
Beat Sunderland 2-0
Position in table: 1st

Cup
Quarter-final: Lost to Rangers 3-1

Shield
Semi-final: Beat Citizen 1-0
Final: Lost to Aston Villa 2-1

Re: HKFC Citibank International Soccer Sevens(Hong Kong): MC

http://www.hksoccersevens.com/news/...s-manchester-city-select-young-internationals

England U-18 winger Brandon Barker and former France U-16 striker Thierry Ambrose are among leading players included in Manchester City’s provisional squad for next week’s HKFC Citibank Soccer Sevens, which will be held at Hong Kong Football Club from May 23-25.
The initial 10-man squad has been drawn from Jason Wilcox’s Manchester City U-18 side, who beat West Ham 2-1 on Saturday to reach the playoff final for the 2013/14 Barclays U18 Premier League.
Wilcox – the former England winger who won the Premier League with Blackburn Rovers – has highlighted Ambrose, Barker and England U-17 forward Denzeil Boadu among key players in a squad that includes age-group internationals from England, France and Spain.
The 42-year-old hopes his high-flying youngsters will help City improve on their Soccer Sevens debut last year, when they won their group before losing 3-1 to Rangers in the quarter-finals.
“We’ve had a terrific season so far and we’re still involved in important games here, so it’s nice to finish off the season in Hong Kong and hopefully we’ll go further than we did last year. That’s going to be our objective,” said Wilcox, who first visited Hong Kong with England for a friendly ahead of the 1996 European Championships.
“We’re going to have a young squad again and we have some players to watch out for. Thierry Ambrose is a striker and has scored a lot of goals this year. Brandon Barker is a wide player who likes to dribble and has tremendous pace and skills.
“Denzeil Boadu is another forward, great in one-on-one situations and very powerful. He can receive the ball with his back to the goal and he’s turning into a bit of a provider as well. We’ve got some powerful midfielders including Kean Bryan, who’s got a great left foot and is a strong runner, and some defenders who can all play.”
Wilcox believes City have learnt some lessons from last year’s Soccer Sevens, as they reached the Plate final before losing to five-time champions Aston Villa.
“We learned an awful lot last year. We learned about the style of play that you need. First of all, you need players that can get around the pitch as it’s a physical test and you must retain the ball,” said Wilcox, who won the 1995 Premier League with Blackburn Rovers and reached the 2001 UEFA Champions League semi-finals with Leeds United.
“You need good players who can dictate the game and who recognise situations, like when there’s an opportunity to take somebody on in the right areas. You need players who are good in one-on-one situations. Trying to find players who have all of those attributes is difficult, but we think we’ve got all these attributes between our players.”

10354470_1453520934892429_1816737704_n.jpg

Landed in HK couple of hours ago according to Ambrose's Instagram.

It's always impressive to see City put U18s in a an U21 tournament (and the other groups too). It shows their total faith in the lads and a real confidence that we're doing things the right way and testing them.

ColinLee said:
It's always impressive to see City put U18s in a an U21 tournament (and the other groups too). It shows their total faith in the lads and a real confidence that we're doing things the right way and testing them.

It has always impressed me how well organised the EDS/academy has been, and in recent years there is clearly an ambition to take it beyond the next level.

7-a-side is a much more demanding game. A slip, error of judgement will be punished - and time on the ball is rare. It can drain you, especially with the subs rule:

The number of substitutions made during a match is unlimited. A player who has been replaced may return to the pitch as a substitute for another player.

I am glad City are attending events like this, it develops players in different areas and disciplines - and gives them exposure to big events.

pablomaffeo ‏@pablomaffeo

Clasificados para los cuartos de final, Qualified for the quarterfinals #Hongkongtournament #MCFC

:-)

A win and two draws. That's a pretty good result given they are playing against older lads. I would imagine we have the youngest team there.

Let's hope they can get through the quarter final.

Both Rangers (Scotland) and BC Rangers (HK) as well as City beat Singapore Cricket Club and drew with each other, leaving three teams on 5 points. However, we beat SCC by the most goals, so we win the group on GD.

We now go on to play the second placed team of group A, who haven't finished (or at least, published) their matches yet.

unexpected item said:
10354470_1453520934892429_1816737704_n.jpg

Landed in HK couple of hours ago according to Ambrose's Instagram.
lol..I was the one in the pic...lucky to have a group photos with these young talents :)

Supporters club organized a meet and greet session with them on Thursday the second day they landed, they were really nice and took photos with most of them, 2 or 3 of them looked really exhausted so didn't disturb them.

Jason the head coach of our U18s has been really good as well, they brought us a bag of goodies, and when we were just settled down, he gave me and my friend a beanie bear (treated us like lil kids I love that feeling :p!) and asked if we liked it and I was so surprised I became speechless! Hope he can tell from my reaction I was extremely happy!

And today's game we won 4:0 in our 1st one and was against Singapore Cricket Club (wonder why would cricket club be playing footy lol), and scoring 4 is the highest record from yesterday night's games till before this game kicked off, not sure if we are still holding the record after the afternoon session though

2nd game was against BC Rangers, we scored 2 early goals but then they scored 2 and equalized (they scored a last minute goal how painful that was!)

Last game is the lads' chance to do a revenge on last year's quarter final as they got defeated by Rangers FC (yeah we have 2 Rangers in this group so it's pretty confusing indeed lol). We need to draw this one in order to qualify for the quarter final, seemed easy but City always do things in a difficult way, typical City eh ;)? We conceded one and I think it was Barker who equalized in the final couple of minutes (can't see clearly who scored as I go nuts after that goal lol)

The group ended with 3 teams getting winning 1 and drawing 2 and Singapore Cricket Club losing all 3. Thanks to our 4 goals in the first game we top the table and will be facing 2nd of Group A (Guess it should be either Guangzhou Hyundai or Newcastle, haven't checked it yet)

Well done to our boys I think our team has the youngest average age and they did their job well! Worried me a bit after the 2nd game ended as we still have to face perhaps the strongest side of the group! Buzzing!

And the boys are really nice (once again lol) they all stayed and signed for us! Especially impressed by Charlie! Ambrose was standing in front of me signing for us, and I yelled Charlie to come over and sign on my match programme, as there's no room for him to come over, he thumbed up and smiled at me, indicating he will be coming over later and ensure my programme signed, how nice :)!

Was cheering out so loud I think I have lost my voice...I hope I can have it back by tomorrow I need it again!

Some photos on the HK Blues facebook group and think I will be uploading more as well so keep an eye on our group :)!

<a class="postlink" href="https://www.facebook.com/groups/122718271071639/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.facebook.com/groups/122718271071639/</a>

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.