Covid and travel discussion

For most travellers it wont be the cost of a pre departure test that deters, but more the risk of quarantine overseas for a positive result. As @bavarian blue mentioned how can you enjoy your break when you have that uncertainty hanging over you? However It is what it is and we shall book again last minute when the "temporary" restrictions are lifted.

Last edited:
What I don’t understand is, this variant is now here and spreading so stricter travel rules won’t help and cause great inconvenience. The rules that slow the spread and cause no inconvenience like masks in crowds and all indoor settings when moving around, like vaccine passports we aren’t bothering with. Makes no sense to me.
Agree 100%. What they are doing cannot be based on science but must be more of a public relations exercise. As you say, it's here now (as it is in Belgium, Germany and most countries in Europe). Putting a mask on and not mixing in large numbers is the best thing everybody can do. But many people will ignore this and we'll see large spikes in cases in January and February.

The news yesterday evening really deflated me.
Made even worse with it being only a week since the twats in charge made the day 2 test change to a PCR requirement.

There was always going to be bumps in the recovery road but these are 2 significant changes that are a huge blow for the travel industry, and feels like a huge backwards step.
The requirement to test in resort is a hurdle too much for many, with understandable worries about testing positive abroad and everything that can potentially entail.

Using Thailand as an example, if someone were to head there this month they have to test negative before they leave the UK, and test negative again on arrival in Thailand. They then have to test negative in the 2 days before they board their flight back to the UK, and also test again within 2 days of landing home.
Yet the holidaymaker in Thailand will likely spend all their time outside, and likely not in particular close contact with people.
It just feels like total overkill and punishing those of us who wish to travel overseas.

Last night I went to a gig, I'm going to a gig on Tuesday too.
Each time to attend I only need to have proof of my double jabs.
Both gigs mean an indoor setting, crammed full of people who's only requirement to get into the venue is being double jabbed or a negative lateral flow, drinking, singing etc etc
If I wanted I could go to a gig every single night in December and be in that environment for multiple weeks.
Yet people sitting on a beach for a week are forced to face the brunt of these rule changes.

Gone off on a tangent there but I'm sure people understand what I'm getting at.
Read an article earlier where a scientist said that these new travel rules are pointless as it's already way too late.
Which of course it is; we've seen time and time again that border closures or restrictions don't keep the virus, and it's variants, out.

It's weekends like this that make me question working in the travel industry!

Patpong, Soi Cowboy, Nana Plaza and Pattaya must have changed a lot then ;-)

Haha I realised as I was typing that up that this might not be accurate in parts of Thailand.

And that someone would likely pull me up on it ;)

What's the crack over in Prague at the moment?
I saw the festive markets had been cancelled but the Mayor wasn't too happy about it....the neighbouring countries all seem to be in either lockdown or heavy restrictions, is it inevitable in the CR too?

Haha I realised as I was typing that up that this might not be accurate in parts of Thailand.

And that someone would likely pull me up on it ;)

What's the crack over in Prague at the moment?
I saw the festive markets had been cancelled but the Mayor wasn't too happy about it....the neighbouring countries all seem to be in either lockdown or heavy restrictions, is it inevitable in the CR too?
Not inevitable no.

Not much has changed over the last weeks other than closing Christmas markets, pubs/restaurants closing at 10 and tests no longer being accepted for entry to most entertainment/cultural events (only vaccination and recent recovery from Covid accepted).

There may be further measures if numbers rise more but over the last 7 days we saw 4 of the days lower than the corresponding day of the previous week (including one day at 33% lower), so there is a feeling that numbers have stabilised to some degree and also it has been noted that vaccination rates have started to pick up again.

Hopefully we're over the worst but who knows!

Gutted. Booked in 2018 to go to Lapland in 2020, but had to postpone and move to this year. We were meant to be going this Sunday for 3 nights but the new negative test before comming home rule has put us right off, especialy since me and the little one had covid 4 weeks ago.10 days quarantine abroad over christmas is not an option, and I'm starting a new job on the 20th. Will cost an extra 800 quid to move it again because its our choice, but hay ho. Im not a regular traveller, only been on a plane 5 times, so it was a big deal to us.
Edit, shifted it to the first week of December next year for an extra 500 quid, and we get an extra 4th night.

Last edited:
Using Thailand as an example, if someone were to head there this month they have to test negative before they leave the UK, and test negative again on arrival in Thailand. They then have to test negative in the 2 days before they board their flight back to the UK, and also test again within 2 days of landing home.
Yet the holidaymaker in Thailand will likely spend all their time outside, and likely not in particular close contact with people.
It just feels like total overkill and punishing those of us who wish to travel overseas.
I posted about this,if we do still go at the end of jan,we will have to take and pay for 12 pcr tests now between 3 of us.
What happens if one of us is positive 2 days before coming home in Thailand?, 14 days in a thai hospital or 14 days in an AQ or SHA expensive government hotel? Its a nightmare
as it stands there is no way we can currently go

£3700 for 11 nights in a Holiday Inn and canteen style (though that might be generous) slop.
It's beyond ridiculous the costs involved for hotel quarantine and someone somewhere is getting considerably rich off this farce.
Punishing people with severe financial penalties for having the audacity to go on honeymoon.

Whilst I'm not against the hotel quarantine system for when it's really needed, as I've discussed previously it should be a nominal charge much more in line with the real costs involved.

Another huge indicator of how big a con it all is....

1638810986342.png

The airport hotels they are using, they all charge a per room rate and not per person rate. The room price is the same regardless of 1 or 2 people in there.
So the additional adult having to cough up a ''discounted'' £1430 is essentially being charged £143 a day for 3 basic daily meals and a couple of Covid tests.
Now I know London is expensive, but 3 meals even of decent quality does not cost anything close to that sort of figure.
And all accounts I've read is that the food on offer is shite.

I'm sure even the people who are adamant everyone should stay at home forever can at least acknowledge what a con this whole system is.
And no-one should be happy to see ordinary folk, travelling perfectly legally, be hammered financially like this.

It's a pandemic, things change quickly, we understand that.....but £3700 for 10 nights in a Holiday Inn? Get to fuck.

So now you have to test out where you are BEFORE setting off to the UK as well as day 2 PCR back here? Does that mean you have to source a testing company in the country you are in?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.