Homebrew cider

marie said:
We're trying this for the first time. We've got 2 demijohns full of cider fermenting away at the mo'. We used a blender & a stocking to get our juice.
Cut up the apples, shove them in the blender, put the pulpy juice into a stocking & squeeze as much as you can (this takes some time for the amount of apples needed).
We left one demijohn to ferment the natural way & put a campden tablet then yeast into the second one. It's looking good so far. If it all works out we'll be doing it all again next year.

Cool - yea, I'll prob do the same thing tbh. Just need to get hold of some yeast and campden tabs to try it that way.

I might give that turbo cider ago just for a laugh, but we got loads of apples that we need to get rid of!

Cal said:
marie said:
We're trying this for the first time. We've got 2 demijohns full of cider fermenting away at the mo'. We used a blender & a stocking to get our juice.
Cut up the apples, shove them in the blender, put the pulpy juice into a stocking & squeeze as much as you can (this takes some time for the amount of apples needed).
We left one demijohn to ferment the natural way & put a campden tablet then yeast into the second one. It's looking good so far. If it all works out we'll be doing it all again next year.

Cool - yea, I'll prob do the same thing tbh. Just need to get hold of some yeast and campden tabs to try it that way.

I might give that turbo cider ago just for a laugh, but we got loads of apples that we need to get rid of!

Do you use normal Apples or Cooking?

I haven't got a clue what I've got - family went up to Gatley to my grandads at the weekend and came home with tonnes of apples..assuming just normal ones from a tree in his garden.

Cal said:
I haven't got a clue what I've got - family went up to Gatley to my grandads at the weekend and came home with tonnes of apples..assuming just normal ones from a tree in his garden.

They'll be lovely them mate if they are normal ones, i had an Apple tree in my garden when i was renting in Cmbridge about 10 year ago, you can well taste the difference, they were lovely. Cal, let us all know how you get on man.

Yea I will do - gonna give it a go tomorrow night. Gonna try and get some yeast and campden tab, and try it like Marie said. Let it brew til around Xmas, and then either have some lovely cider...or some minging vinegar haha

Not sure why you want to be adding campden tablets, as you use these to control the yeast and stop it working. You also add half a tablet to 40 pints of tap water to dechlorinate it prior to brewing beer.

Re: Homebrew cider (now with pics!)

Right - we gave it ago. By that, I mean we didn't have a clue what we were doing, and took a few tips from here and other cider sites.

Sliced the apples, blended them up, strained them through a pair of tights, and ended up with some brown liquid. I've never seen 'cider' that looks like this before, but I don't care..I'll try it around Xmas and see what happens haha.

DSCF3795.jpg

DSCF3797.jpg

DSCF3796.jpg

DSCF3798.jpg

looks like you had fun!!!

If you leave the top screwed on it won't ferment & the gases produced need somewhere to go. (it could get even more messy)

The campden tablet killed off any germs then we left it a day before then adding champagne yeast to set it going, but the other one we followed the scrumpy method & left it alone & the natural yeast on the apples started fermentation. we had 30 pound of apples & are hopefully getting 10 litres of cider.

getting pissed for free, you can't beat it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.