House of the Rising Sun / Animals

Sa

It has always been the same story throughout rock history.....
The greatest band ever EVER had the same issue.
Morrissey & Marr wrote the lyrics and music for the GREATEST band that ever was and were on a 50/50 split of songwriting royalties. That was never in dispute.
However - and this was never written down in a contract hence the court case - the performing royalties (ie TV shows, live performances, radio / TV appearences, merchandise etc) were deemed as 25% x 4 split by Mike Joyce and Andy Rourke, yet once the band had folded they found out it was a 40/40/10/10 split.....
The court (in the absence of a written contract) went in the favour of Mike Joyce and awarded him £1m. (Andy Rourke settled out of court for £80K a year earlier as he was skint and took the carrot dangled)

I never knew Morrissey and Marr were in a band before the smiths

We recorded House Of The Rising Sun in Abbey Road Studios 2002.
AND Got a Top Ten hit out of it too ... Fuck yeah!

Last edited:
Watched the documentary the other night - really excellent. Burden is still so rock and roll and boy does he hate Alan Price. ‘Chop his body up into little bits and throw them in the Tyne’. Still performing but his voice has gone to hell. Some fantastic footage of the Animals in their prime.

Watched the documentary the other night - really excellent. Burden is still so rock and roll and boy does he hate Alan Price. ‘Chop his body up into little bits and throw them in the Tyne’. Still performing but his voice has gone to hell. Some fantastic footage of the Animals in their prime.
I watched it too. He came over as a dick with his unfortunate blend of wrinkles, mandatory pop star shades, paunch, egotism and ridiculous Geordie-cum-Californian accent. We were also treated to feeble attempts to stay relevant, interspersed with eulogies from a couple of cadavers.

It was sad. He should have retired in 1968 with reputation intact.

Last edited:
The House was the first song I absolutely murdered learning to play the guitar.

There have been countless hundreds since, but you always remember your first.

My sister, well known for her motivational side, walking by my room as I thought I had nailed it, said without hesitation.

That doesn't sound like anything.

Bless her.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.