House Prices

No MOTs or equivalent in a civilised society....how come ?
Dont need them, never had them. Don't see multiple accidents on our roads because of it.

I’m not anti Aus…loved living there, but just to counter some of your points.

No heating bills…but shit loads on AC (especially in Darwin!!)
Loads of money required to travel anywhere other than Aus
Very expensive flights to travel to another city in the Country.
Not sure what wine you’re drinking at $3 a bottle, but most wines in Dan Murphy’s were in the $15-30 range.
Cars are very expensive.
Worst of all though…premier league games on at around 1.00am at a weekend!!
If you're daft enough to live in hot humid Darwin :), anyway those fuckers all have Gov sponsored solar roof panels now so they're actually getting paid for inputing lekky into the grid.
I'll give you point 2
Point 3, depends, It's like trains in UK if you book a bit early online it's pretty cheap. I'm going to Melbourne in a month for a wedding, $45 each way. Not bad really. (cheaper than the fucking rip off train I got from M/cr airport to Doncaster)
I regularly buy reduced Oz wine at Dan's or 1st Choice between 3 and 5 dollars. Clean Skin is $2.50 this week.
2nd hand cars are expensive compared to UK but they dont rust and last much longer.
New cars are way cheaper. I got my new Mitsy Outlander 7 seater SUV for £15,000 equivalent.

A little story:
When I came to Oz I imported a car from UK. I had to take it for a complyability inspection. The Mech firstly put it up on the ramps, I was stood watching, (The mech was an English guy) he shouted the other guys over and said " hey lad's this car is 3 years old from UK look at the rust underneath" They were all gobsmacked and staring at it, saying things like "how do you work on all those rusty bolts etc" then he took me over to another ramp and said "this is a 12 year old Toyota" no kidding it was like new underneath, hardly a touch of rust anywhere, it's the road salt in UK that makes cars rusty very quickly.
I've never changed an exhaust or a brake pipe in 34 years.

I'm not saying Oz is cheap place to live, it's not, especially Sydney (our London)... but I was replying to someone saying "everything is expensive in Oz" It's not true.

Last edited:
Cheers, wanted to move to the country ideally near Market Rasen as we like the area it would have meant dropping City tho as I'd not be arsed traveling over for all the games from over there but Fleetwood is within range so all good.
Good supporters club in Blackpool, run 3 coaches to home games and pick up in the surrounding area including Fleetwood

Dont need them, never had them. Don't see multiple accidents on our roads because of it.
Not sure if still the same now but 20 years ago when I was there, certain states needed a roadworthy certificate. SA didn't, but others did (Vic and WA iirc)

You also had the stop and ticketing system by the police where any highlighted defects had to be fixed within 7 days and proof of repair had to be provided. In effect an MOT in the UK is annually but with the Aussie system your car can be checked numerous times a year (I got ticketed 7 times in 10 months) so potentially you could argue the Aussie cars are more roadworthy.

Not sure if still the same now but 20 years ago when I was there, certain states needed a roadworthy certificate. SA didn't, but others did (Vic and WA iirc)

You also had the stop and ticketing system by the police where any highlighted defects had to be fixed within 7 days and proof of repair had to be provided. In effect an MOT in the UK is annually but with the Aussie system your car can be checked numerous times a year (I got ticketed 7 times in 10 months) so potentially you could argue the Aussie cars are more roadworthy.
Well all I can say is I've been here (Queensland) 34 years and never been ticketed, I've always had pretty newish cars though. My sons had older cars and never got ticketed either though. I think they target the hoon type cars more these days.

House prices are inversely correlated to interest rates and positively correlated to credit availability. We’ve had over a decade of very low interest rates and quantitative easing. This inflates asset prices. Housing is far from the only asset class affected. The stock market is trading on historically high valuations, even after the most recent (and ongoing) correction.

If interest rates increase then house prices along with other assets should fall. You’re already seeing this in the stock market, which is always the first to react. Given that inflation is currently out of control, central banks have little choice but to increase interest rates. This may have the knock-on effect of causing a recession, which will limit credit availability and put further downwards pressure on asset prices.

I doubt many people have the capital. The only people who have serious money nowadays are those above 50 which indeed fits what you're saying but nobody else. Any profit anyone makes on their house usually goes into the next one and how many people downsize or get a cheaper house for their next one?

We bought our first house years ago in our mid 20's, the deposit was around £25k. It took 2-3 years to save up that and we didn't get any direct financial help from our parents but we were lucky enough to live at home rent free. We're looking next at upsizing but we'll have to compromise on the next house or put up more equity to keep the mortgage affordable.

The salary to house value thing doesn't really matter, all that matters is that you can afford mortgage repayments and most people renting already pay more in rent than a mortgage so they can. It's saving the deposit that is the hard part.

Perhaps one problem is young people are moving out early but they're moving to go into education and not to go into work. I know people my age who were at uni well into their mid 20's. Back in the day most people left school and were working full time from 16.
We downsized at our last move 17 years ago. Sold large house (because children were leaving home etc.) for £350,O000 and bought smaller property for £200,000. After stamp duty and doing up property we were left with about £100k. Has been useful for all sorts of reasons, not least subbing son for half his house deposit.
I have no figures but I don’t suppose we are unique in doing this.
Never regretted for a second, nice house for retirement, right size for FOCs, happy as Larry in new semi rural area with dales just round the corner, South Pennine walks from our front door, oh and a decent pub!

Correct - Banks don't create money. That video is very misleading.

When you borrow from a high street bank that money is 100% covered by deposits / capital held by the bank. There is no exception to that statement.

Central Banks can create (print) money and they do - but ordinary people don't access central banks. They serve a function to their owners (governments) and that function is around facilitation and oversight - it is non profit. And central banks dont just print new money on a whim - the basic concept is that if you double the money supply you half the value (in comparison to other currencies and asset types). The Bank of england has the remit to print money with a target of 2% inflation - so it is expected to print money but at a rate that keeps the value relatively stable.
I too am sceptical about this idea that banks create money. The only way to show this would be a comparison of the balance sheets before loans and after. None of those who advocate this idea have ever satisfactorily demonstrated this.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.