How good was last season's City?

Marvin

I watched the goals back this morning, and the sheer number and quality was amazing.

Not only did we play some amazing football, but we won two trophies, and went a long way in the FA Cup and qualified from our Champions League Group. We broke scoring records, and we did this from a mid-table position at the start of December.

I don't think City have had the credit they deserve from the national media, or even from City fans. Some of the individual player performances this season eg Yaya Toure were also not given the credit they deserved. In part this is because we came from behind. For much of the season attention was on Aaron Ramsey and Arsenal, then the SaS and Liverpool.

City are not at the level of the Arsenal Invincibles, and we don't have the dominance of Utd's treble-winning team, but apart from that I think we were the best the Premiership has seen. If this team played the Arsenal Invincibles we'd probably win because each season football gets better in all respects. The only way you can compare teams from different seasons is to look at them relative to their rivals.

I look forward to what an injury-free City squad can do when we don't have to spend the first two months settling in under a new manager. Imagine if Aguero is fit (can't see it with the World Cup).

Apparently pellers overachieved...
The papers/radio/pundits all had him down as underachieving when we was 8pts behind liverpool with just the league cup....
Liverpool should have been champions, every man and his dog knows that, we pissed on everyone's chips....

I agree with the OP.

I am training myself not to care what reporters and pundits think.

Mr Danny Murphy commentating on the Peru game had his mouth running with the usual effluent flowing out.

He said you needed balance for success. Liverpool were brilliant in attack but weak in defence... Chelsea were good defensively but weak in attack... followed by... NOTHING.

I laughed out aloud and tweeted him!

I am really enjoying replaying the highlights of the last season and am amazed when reminded of how well we played at times.

Of course the highlights are mostly void of our mistakes but never the less we had a truly excellent season.

JJ

Given the fact that you've been the marked team for a while now, which usually means the opposition bring their best counter attacking game plan, it makes scoring the most seem extra impressive. Good on ya's!

Marvin said:
I watched the goals back this morning, and the sheer number and quality was amazing.

Not only did we play some amazing football, but we won two trophies, and went a long way in the FA Cup and qualified from our Champions League Group. We broke scoring records, and we did this from a mid-table position at the start of December.

I don't think City have had the credit they deserve from the national media, or even from City fans. Some of the individual player performances this season eg Yaya Toure were also not given the credit they deserved. In part this is because we came from behind. For much of the season attention was on Aaron Ramsey and Arsenal, then the SaS and Liverpool.

City are not at the level of the Arsenal Invincibles, and we don't have the dominance of Utd's treble-winning team, but apart from that I think we were the best the Premiership has seen. If this team played the Arsenal Invincibles we'd probably win because each season football gets better in all respects. The only way you can compare teams from different seasons is to look at them relative to their rivals.

I look forward to what an injury-free City squad can do when we don't have to spend the first two months settling in under a new manager. Imagine if Aguero is fit (can't see it with the World Cup).

Broadly agree with your sentiments but sometimes perceptions are not backed up by the facts.

i) We started December in 3rd place and not mid-table. Unless of course our expextations are that high nowadays that 3rd place is considered mid-table :)

ii) The United team of 1999 was obviously very good but I wouldn't say they were that dominant in that particular year. They won the league narrowly and, to put it into perspective, they dropped points in 16 games that season and only made 79 points.

Marvin said:

When we tweak this squad in the right areas it will be as good and as successful as arsenal or united in their prime. I think next season will see us go up another level again. Everything is in place now.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.