How good was Paul Lake?

Had the poise of Bobby Moore.
A great football brain.
And even at his age just oozed class.

Quite simply the best player we've ever produced in my time.

We have some good youngsters now, in Onouha, Ireland, Richards etc.
But IMHO they're not in Paul Lakes class.

No question the lad would have become a true City legend.

He was class and as people said earlier, he made it all look ridiculously easy...Played in pretty much every outfield position and was tipped for the very top, by non other then Sir Bobby Robson!

He would have gone on to be a true Blue legend but for his crippling injuries....hell, he even managed to scare the crap out of me by swallowing his tongue one game as well!! If it wasnt for Roy Bailey's quick thinking that game.......gawd even the thought of that brings shivers down my spine!!

In a great team that pretty much all came through the ranks, he has head and shoulders above some super players. He was the closest thing i have ever seen to Colin Bell and i do not say this lightly!

Bring him back to the club he adored Mr Cook...

Lakey was and is a true blue.

He was also a class player who I've never heard any blue have a bad word to say about.

He also signed my arm as a child which at the time meant more than most things in the world.

For any of you younger lads who missed Lakey, let me put it into perspective.

He could play up front (just off the striker)), Midfield (middle, left & right) and right across the back four.

He was the best young midfielder in the country between 88-91 - with Gazza a marginal second

We were all surprised to see him move to Centre Half in 1990 but what a move that was. In my opinion he would've been a world class centre half without question.

I actually can't think of anyone in today's game that plays like him (although Johnno's first 6 months made me reminisce a little)

If anyone asks me what my saddest City game was, I say Boro away in '92. City & England lost a gem that night.

one of the few previous city players from the last 25 years that would walk into the current team, would have played for England for a long time. And just for the record a top bloke who went out of his way and pulled a few strings to help a blue get diagnosis and treatment for a ruptured posterior knee ligament, and for that alone cheers Paul.

BufordUSABlue said:
TheMightyQuinn said:
Lakey was and is a true blue.

He was also a class player who I've never heard any blue have a bad word to say about.

He also signed my arm as a child which at the time meant more than most things in the world.

LOL TMQ, come on then, how long did you go before washing it pal??

Think it lasted the best part of a week as a full on signature, was quite big so took up my entire forearm, eventually faded but I probably got a good fortnight out of it or so.

BufordUSABlue said:
He was class and as people said earlier, he made it all look ridiculously easy...Played in pretty much every outfield position and was tipped for the very top, by non other then Sir Bobby Robson!

He would have gone on to be a true Blue legend but for his crippling injuries....hell, he even managed to scare the crap out of me by swallowing his tongue one game as well!! If it wasnt for Roy Bailey's quick thinking that game.......gawd even the thought of that brings shivers down my spine!!

In a great team that pretty much all came through the ranks, he has head and shoulders above some super players. He was the closest thing i have ever seen to Colin Bell and i do not say this lightly!

Bring him back to the club he adored Mr Cook...

If my memory serves me correctly, Roy Bailey was at the other END of the field when the players clashed heads. The Leicester physio got to his player first, had a butchers and then saw the condition that Lakey was in and immediately left his own man and started to treat Lake before Roy Bailey got there. Meanwhile the club doctor (Norman Lumb or summat) came down from the stand and just stood on the touchline with his hands in his pockets like a bleeding spectator whilst the players were gesturing for him to help the physios.
As far as I'm aware the Leicester physio never publicly received any recognision for his efforts.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.