How good would Rodney Marsh have been playing for Pep..?

Oh boy, this is a toughie.

I loved Rodney Marsh. When I was a kid he was my idol. When he was in the mood he was probably the best player in the world. He could do things with a ball that would literally leave you open mouthed in amazement and on his day he could win a game in a moment of magic. He was also the ultimate showman and loved playing to the crowd. I still remember the time he made a complete fool of Bobby Moncur of Newcastle, leaving him on his arse in the centre circle after which Rodney turned and bowed to the crowd on all four sides of the ground like a matador.

However, he was also maddeningly frustrating. He was lazy, selfish and unreliable and would simply disappear from games. Unfortunately, he never fulfilled his potential and will probably be remembered by many City fans as the reason we blew 1st division title (it wasn’t his fault but that was a popular perception)

Unfortunately, I just can’t see Rodney as a Pep player. He would have driven Pep crazy and I’m certain Pep would have shown him the door.

He was probably George Best’s equal in skill. Unfortunately he didnt have George’s application otherwise he would have been a genuine world superstar.

I still miss him. He was a one-off.

First thought was “Haha!”

Rodney was many things, but a Pep player? Never!

One of the things that summed up Rodney’s work ethic (a Pep requirement) was in 1987. I was playing pro in the States and we played Tampa Bay Rowdies. Rodney was Player-Manager for them at the time. They were losing, he came in for about 2 minutes, nicked a goal and took himself off (free in and out subs back then). On his way past our bench, he says, “That’s me done for the night!” THAT was Rodney Marsh in a nutshell.

Rodney and Dennis Tueart were my favorite players growing up, as I thought both of them could turn a game on its head with a brilliant bit of skill or guile. However, Rodney will, for me, stand alone as the greatest City enigma of all time. With application, he very well could have been one of the best players ever at City, but that application was never really forthcoming and we only saw his best in fits and spurts, a moment here, a moment there...just like in Chicago that night!

Grew up watching him while sat on the wall at the back of windy corner, always felt he was made a scapegoat for not winning the league in 71/72 although being 9 perhaps I didn't understand the internal politics.

As for Marsh under Pep? Think we've seen this play out already with Nasri.

Never ge the point of these comparison thread, games a lot different in meny ways now than the 60s/70s there is no way to say if Marsh would even be a footballer in the modern game.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.