How much has Spurs spent? Megson says £200m

skybluekings

How much has Spurs spent? Megson says £200m

Seems like every article you read or football game you watch, there's always a reference to how many MILLIONS we have spent. It gets annoying after a while, when the focus is on that and not our quality of play.

I was reading the build up to Bolton - Spurs and Megson was saying that Spurs have spent £200m.

Quote: "Ahead of Saturday's visit of Spurs to the Reebok Stadium, Megson said: "It is a huge task for our players.

"But one we're looking forward to because it gives us a chance to gauge ourselves against a club that has maybe spent £200million.

"And when you spend £50million on centre-forwards, I don't think it's any great surprise to see they have done so well so far this season. "

LINK: http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_5600841,00.html

How much have they really spent? And if they spent £200m why is there such a focus on our spending?
Funny that I have to ask, which just goes to show how much the media DON'T talk about it.

Re: How much has Spurs spent? Megson says £200m

skybluekings said:
Spurs have spent £200m.

Yeah, but £190m was spent buying Pascal Chimbonda thirty eight times and then selling him on. It's a bit like VAT Carousel fraud where you import the same goods over and over again to repeatedly claim the VAT on them. Not that I'm suggesting anything other than he was a bit bobbins.

They have spent over the last few years, including spending £45m in January (nearly the same as us, although how much of that counts is debatable as Robbie Keane was re-purchased).

HOWEVER, our net spending over this summer (after deducting transfers received) was £98m, Spurs was £2.5 million. So, not a surprise we were the story of the summer.

Who cares?
anyway if they don't like it so far wait til January and next summer!

From press reports, and a rather poor memory, I would say that Spurs’ squad cost nearer to £100m rather than £200m:

Gomes (£6m)
Cudicini (free)
Corluka (£8m)
Woodgate (£8m)
King (trainee)
Bassong (£7m)
Alan Hutton (£8m)
Ekotto (c£3m)
Dawson (£4m)
Naughton (£3m)
Jenas (£10m)
Huddlestone (£4m)
Lennon (£1m)
Modric (£18m)
Pavlyuchenko (£11m)
Defoe (£15m)
Keane (£15m)
Crouch (£9m)
Bale (£5m)

Dont forget the back handers in your calculations!

From press reports, and a rather poor memory, I would say that Spurs’ squad cost nearer to £100m rather than £200m:

Gomes (£6m)
Cudicini (free)
Corluka (£8m)
Woodgate (£8m)
King (trainee)
Bassong (£7m)
Alan Hutton (£8m)
Ekotto (c£3m)
Dawson (£4m)
Naughton (£3m)
Jenas (£10m)
Huddlestone (£4m)
Lennon (£1m)
Modric (£18m)
Pavlyuchenko (£11m)
Defoe (£15m)
Keane (£15m)
Crouch (£9m)
Bale (£5m)

I dont think 'arry ever pays the money straight so its always instalments.. So he has probably spent a lot less but that is the eventual amount they will have spent on players. I remember the Wigan chairman saying that there is no way they'd sell Palacios as it would take 20 years to re coup the money.. thats why they can afford to do it, as long as they can pay the monthly bills they'll be ok where as compared to us where we have payed upfront and in full for players.

This is what pissed me off about the medias attitude to our summer spending.

bentwatt was only a few mill behind us yet there was no outcry he was ruining football.

mat said:
This is what pissed me off about the medias attitude to our summer spending.

bentwatt was only a few mill behind us yet there was no outcry he was ruining football.

er....we spent £98m net and they spent £2.5m.

All the managers (and directors of football etc) comings and goings have meant Spurs have bought and sold a lot over the last few years and that wastes money, but it does give the impression of spending more than they have (eg the bizarre situation where two of their top three signings were sold and bought back).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.