How popular

Probably better received there than they are in the North

Are the British in Southern Ireland?

serious question. I have heard there are quite a lot ofAnglophiles

Has that changed with Brexit?

@jimharri
@leighton
Well; I've been living over here since late '82. Spent my first 18 years in Moss Side and Longsight (Irish parents). I've had no serious trouble at all. The first year or so, when some people (who didn't know me) would hear my accent out and about, I'd get the odd comment about "you lot shouldn't be in the North". This was at the height of the troubles. But it was very few and far between. As someone else has said, people from the mainland probably get it worse in the orth. They're seen as selling loyal subjects out by one community, and having their country occupying the North by the other community. But again, like down here, it's just the bigots. As for Brexit, the Irish can't understand the British people voting for it. They love the EU. Then again, Ireland has done very well out of Europe since they joined the "Common Market" back in the early seventies. They are concerned, however, with the issues of the land border on the island, and continued trading with the UK.

Last edited:
Ireland may have done well with the EU but Spain, Italy, Greece or Iceland have not.

Had no issues in Dublin as a Welshman. Found everyone very polite and welcoming. It’s a very touristy city though. Like York or Reading.

And they love their English football teams, particularly ones that play in red in the North West of England, and one that plays in green and white hoops up in Scotland.

Well; I've been living over here since late '82. Spent my first 18 years in Moss Side and Longsight (Irish parents). I've had no serious trouble at all. The first year or so, when some people (who didn't know me) would hear my accent out and about, I'd get the odd comment about "you lot shouldn't be in the North". This was at the height of the troubles. But it was very few and far between. As someone else has said, people from the mainland probably get it worse in the orth. They're seen as selling loyal subjects out by one community, and having their country occupying the North by the other community. But again, like down here, it's just the bigots. As for Brexit, the Irish can't understand the British people voting for it. They love the EU. Then again, Ireland has done very well out of Europe since they joined the "Common Market" back in the early seventies. They are concerned, however, with the issues of the land border on the island, and continued trading with the UK.
Why did you move there ?

Currently we can’t understand what you are up to.
It’s like what’s happening in America. You know you are being lied to but seem to accepting it as becoming the norm.

I personally find English people by large to be polite and have never had any problems over there.
I try to treat English people over here as politely and generally now I think there is a friendly welcome waiting for everyone in any part of the country. I can’t vouch for the North.

I think Irish people in general, me included don’t really get what British is. It seems to mean different things to different people and I’ve asked that question in Britain several times and I m still none the wiser.

Britishness to Irish people still means having your country taken off you and having to fight for centuries to get it back. You can’t get that out of our psyche but that’s not to say that the vast majority of us don’t just want to look to the future and that whole grudge thing is not present in any force in modern Ireland.

After all we’re all inter married and all have family here and there. I love the craic over in Suffolk when I go out with the bro-in-law and he loves it over here.
For decades now I have been as much part of his local and he as much part of mine.

I think there is a welcome over here for the English and relations were never as good since the Queen herself came over.

The amount of absolutely brilliant work that has been put in on both sides over the past few decades is not something to sniff at.

Now don’t fuck it up....yiz bastards .

Currently we can’t understand what you are up to.
It’s like what’s happening in America. You know you are being lied to but seem to accepting it as becoming the norm.

I personally find English people by large to be polite and have never had any problems over there.
I try to treat English people over here as politely and generally now I think there is a friendly welcome waiting for everyone in any part of the country. I can’t vouch for the North.

I think Irish people in general, me included don’t really get what British is. It seems to mean different things to different people and I’ve asked that question in Britain several times and I m still none the wiser.

Britishness to Irish people still means having your country taken off you and having to fight for centuries to get it back. You can’t get that out of our psyche but that’s not to say that the vast majority of us don’t just want to look to the future and that whole grudge thing is not present in any force in modern Ireland.

After all we’re all inter married and all have family here and there. I love the craic over in Suffolk when I go out with the bro-in-law and he loves it over here.
For decades now I have been as much part of his local and he as much part of mine.

I think there is a welcome over here for the English and relations were never as good since the Queen herself came over.

The amount of absolutely brilliant work that has been put in on both sides over the past few decades is not something to sniff at.

Now don’t fuck it up....yiz bastards .
Reading that brings back memories of 20 odd years ago of chatting to a few lads in a pub in Kilkenny (great place) - pissed Conversation but remember saying I was British and the lad said In a friendly manner ‘don’t say British say English if anyone else asks you.’

I opted for Italian after that....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.