How the mighty have fallen!

mannion18 said:
Robbie Fowler signed the other day for Perth Glory. This guy has no shame. Last season he was awful and should have hung his boots up, but no there he was the other day parading around perth as if he is still a great striker.
He is playing in a league I would say is no better than the reserves and he is still crap. Just another pay day.

Are there any other ex city players floating around who should have just called it a day?

you sure you didnt want this to be a slate robbie fowler thread you have a funny way of starting a thread so<br /><br />-- Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:38 am --<br /><br />
mannion18 said:
I agree for playing for the love of the game, but pity it costs £8000 per week, im sure no sunday leaguer gets that.

-- Mon May 31, 2010 10:29 pm --

maybe I just will never forgive him for that excuse of a penalty. However i did not want this to be slate Fowler thread, i was merely asking if anyone knew of ex city players that should have hung their boots up.

Eccles Blue said:
Don't follow your reasoning Mannion. The guy has always said how he loves to play football, so he is playing football. It is no different from the Sunday League players who play until they are in their late 40's early 50's. They play for the love of the game and that is what Robbie is doing. He loves football.

Leave the lad alone.
Have to agree with this. I think he just loves playing the game. It's a shame that he's never really looked after himself in the physical sense, as he'd still be plying his trade in this country. I personally liked him as he seemed to have the same dislike for the Rags that the fans had.

mannion18 said:
Robbie Fowler signed the other day for Perth Glory. This guy has no shame. Last season he was awful and should have hung his boots up, but no there he was the other day parading around perth as if he is still a great striker.
He is playing in a league I would say is no better than the reserves and he is still crap. Just another pay day.
I'm going to take a wild guess here that Robbie Fowler didn't walk into the Perth Glory chairman's house with a gun and demand £8k a week to play for his shitty little excuse for a football club.

I don't understand how you can lay any blame whatsoever at Robbie Fowler's feet for this. Maybe he was going to retire or fuck off to the Middle East because he knew he was well past his best when this deluded knobhead of a chairman rang him up and offered him £400,000 to wobble around in the equivalent of the Conference for another 9 months.

And you think he should have turned it down? Robbie Fowler didn't become one of the richest British sportsmen of all time by turning down the offer of free money from idiots. We should know that better than anyone.

Dubai Blue said:
mannion18 said:
I'm going to take a wild guess here that Robbie Fowler didn't walk into the Perth Glory chairman's house with a gun and demand £8k a week to play for his shitty little excuse for a football club.

I don't understand how you can lay any blame whatsoever at Robbie Fowler's feet for this. Maybe he was going to retire or fuck off to the Middle East because he knew he was well past his best when this deluded knobhead of a chairman rang him up and offered him £400,000 to wobble around in the equivalent of the Conference for another 9 months.

And you think he should have turned it down? Robbie Fowler didn't become one of the richest British sportsmen of all time by turning down the offer of free money from idiots. We should know that better than anyone.

I will have to say im well and truely defeted in the purpose of this thread. should not have mentioned Fowler should have just asked who do you think should have retired well before they did. I do take peoples point on fowler though its not his fault people still think he is worth a punt on.

waterloo blue said:
He is box office gold in Australia,every scouse convict in Sydney came out of the woodwork to see him play for North Queensland last year ,it put thousands on the gate.
That's what Perth have bought him for ,I bet season ticket sales have gone through the roof,he is genuinely thought of as football royalty down here and the level of football in the A league won't be too taxing for him or any of the overseas "marquee" players e.g. Terry Cook and Chris Greenacre.

Get Glauber Berti over there, there'll be riots at the ticket office when it's announced he's playing.

mannion18 said:
Dubai Blue said:

I will have to say im well and truely defeted in the purpose of this thread. should not have mentioned Fowler should have just asked who do you think should have retired well before they did. I do take peoples point on fowler though its not his fault people still think he is worth a punt on.
Can you explain all this 'Marquee' stuff to me that they have over there please. When I looked at Perth's squad, a couple of their players have 'Marquee' after their name. Are you only allowed a certain number of these? And, if so, how is their status determined? Cheers

Dubai Blue said:
mannion18 said:
Can you explain all this 'Marquee' stuff to me that they have over there please. When I looked at Perth's squad, a couple of their players have 'Marquee' after their name. Are you only allowed a certain number of these? And, if so, how is their status determined? Cheers

They are the players whose wages are not included in the salary cap (not sure of the exact number but I think its about $2.3m). They get this status by being divided in to two groups: high profile overseas players and big name Australian players returning home to give something back to the local game before retirement (Craig Moore). Generally the overseas players are attacking midfielders or strikers.

Hope this helped a little.

mannion18 said:
Dubai Blue said:

They are the players whose wages are not included in the salary cap (not sure of the exact number but I think its about $2.3m). They get this status by being divided in to two groups: high profile overseas players and big name Australian players returning home to give something back to the local game before retirement (Craig Moore). Generally the overseas players are attacking midfielders or strikers.

Hope this helped a little.
Makes perfect sense. Thanks.

Halfpenny said:
McManamanamanamanaman should've given up before he joined us.

totally agree, i can remember how impressed i was when we had signed him. What a disapointment he was, he constantly looked as if he was directing traffic, hands all over the place. I honestly do not remember a single shot he had on target.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.