How to boil rice so it isn't soggy

Had to learn how to do this recently cos I'm eating more rice than ever. Measure 1 cup of rice and wash it, sieve it, wash it, sieve it, till most of the cloudiness comes out. Then, pour the rice in a pan with a bit of oil, put the heat on and stir it about a bit for a couple of minutes (This makes it not stick and go mushy) Then add 1.5/2 cups of boiled kettle water and put it in the pan and put the pan lid on and cook until the water has evaporated, 15/20 mins? Turn the heat off and then, I don't know why, but open the lid and put a tea towel over the cooked rice and replace the lid and leave it for 5 minutes. Bang done.

(Could also add pepper and/or vegetable cube too)

Last edited:
Wish I knew. I gave up trying to boil rice a couple of years ago and I just buy the microwave stuff now. Full power, 100 seconds. Done. Perfect every time.

As above but don't bother washing unless the rice is shit. Most supermarket stuff is fine. Along with the oil Chuck in a good teaspoon of salt. Make sure it's exactly two parts water two one of rice and use a wide pan with a tight lid. I find 15 mins turned down to as low as poss is perfect. Should have mentioned, get the rice good and hot in the oil before you Chuck the water in and put the lid on.

1 cup rice
1.5 cups of boiling water.
put the lid on the pan n leave to simmer for 10 min.
run a fork through to fluff n the leave off the stove with the lid on for 5-10 min whilst you finish off your curry.
serve perfect rice.
or buy a rice cooker from argos for about £10 that does it perfect everytime as long as you measure correctly

These days I mostly use the ten minute (bagged) jobs as they aint too bad. I'll stick a lid on but leave a gap about half an inch. You can pretty much leave it until the times up

If it's a box of rice 'un bagged'. I boil it with no lid on. Though you have to watch over it unlike the bagged. Just give it a stir every now and then and it should come out as you want.

Bit of salt in. Don't boil it too rapidly just a simmer and don't overcook it. Rinse with boiling water then let it rest a few minutes to dry off. Fork it through if you're putting it in a serving dish, not needed if going on a plate

Last edited:
Bit of salt in. Don't boil it too rapidly just a simmer and don't overcook it. Rinse with boiling water afterwards.

I do that but til this day I don't know why. I take it ads to the taste? Don't know where you got the rinse with boiling water from though?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.