How to create a shopping boom

Are you suggesting that free parking causes people to shop more?

I doubt it.

It will just shift shopping from one place to another, so no boom at all really.

I have argued with local councillors here for a number of years that the cost of parking is helping to destroy the local economy.
If you are looking one or two items then many will be unwilling to pay parking costs in the town centre were most of the shops are locally owned, prefering to go to the shopping centre that has a majority of chain stores, resulting in profits going to shareholders and a CEO etc rather than being "recycled" in the local economy

My nearest retail park with a Tesco started the SpyCam thing were it takes a picture of your car entering then leaving and if this is more than 3hrs you get an auto-letter in the post saying you owe them £50.
Previously I had been parking on this retail park for years for free and often would spend my money in the shops there but since I've had these threatening letters proclaiming I now owe £400 and all sorts of shit I haven't stepped anywhere near this place and they won't ever get a penny from me.

We need a much more advanced and cheaper public transport system which integrates with retailers, possibly getting cheaper transport if you are a customer at a retail store in a certain radius of your destination.
Like some kind of Oyster card for Manchester which you could scan at the stores - this may encourage people to choose the centre more for shopping over say Trafford Centre which provides free parking.
Example - I've driven from Bury to the Trafford Centre for the free parking even though the products on offer there are more expensive and i'm using more petrol, whereas I could've jumped on my local tram and gone straight into the city centre (but this is currently £4.50 return)

This card would also be used across the whole First Manchester/GMPTE network so you could shop locally, leaving your car at home, without the need to park on double yellow outside the butchers.
Just a case of getting the butchers to use this card technology.

Would cost £££££ to implement though - maybe this is where the big corps. and their phone apps will exploit us slaves sorry "human beings"

I live in Prestatyn, our local shops were a waste of time after Kwick Saves left so all our shopping had to be done in Rhyl ( a Shit hole) plus we had to pay to park, About18 months ago we got a new shopping centre in Prestatyn also most of the land owned by Tesco so we get free parking up to 3 hours lots of spaces great, But Rhyl who are going to DOUBLE the rate for parking is now like a ghost town, even most of the large shops have moved to Prestatyn. Paying to park, parking wardens plus extra time I do not go into Rhyl much now.

An emotive topic car parking.

At my work we are reviewing the whole system for allowances given to workers and it is a nightmare. Some allowance bandings include free parking and some could lose these 'perks'.

Are you suggesting that free parking causes people to shop more?

I doubt it.

It will just shift shopping from one place to another, so no boom at all really.

Well yes, it moves them from out of town shopping centres and supermarkets to the town centre. Isn't that the point being made?

When I visited my 'home' town Stalybridge on a weekday on my last visit to the UK I was shocked to find about 60% of the shops closed with shutters and For Lease signs

I went into a couple of still open shops and chatted with the staff who told me paid parking has killed the town centre, everybody just goes to Tesco

sad state of affairs, why cant the council see this?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.