How to get from Newcastle to Sunderland on NYD?

bainy

As the title states - any ideas of cheap transport? Im led to believe that the metro, local trains and buses are not running in the north east. We arrive in Newcastle on the doncaster train at around 1pm - hopefully there will be a special bus or something? Any info will be helpful...cheers

Just checked and you are right. There is no metro service and no buses running on New Year's Day.

Guess the only answer is use taxis but I guess it'd going to be double rate. My son paid £20 for one Gateshead to Sunderland on a normal night so guess you could be talking £40.

robsta said:
Just checked and you are right. There is no metro service and no buses running on New Year's Day.

Guess the only answer is use taxis but I guess it'd going to be double rate. My son paid £20 for one Gateshead to Sunderland on a normal night so guess you could be talking £40.
Thanks for replying...we can get off and on at Durham so need to work out which is best. My guess is there will be loads of blues in same situation, so might be best to plan to book some mini buses between us all!!

bainy said:
robsta said:

Thanks for replying...we can get off and on at Durham so need to work out which is best. My guess is there will be loads of blues in same situation, so might be best to plan to book some mini buses between us all!!

Not sure if you know about <a class="postlink" href="http://www.nexus.org.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nexus.org.uk/</a>

Thought I would mention it in case you didn't

bainy said:
robsta said:

Durham is virtually the same distance to Sunderland as Newcastle is. Thing is you'll have more time if you get off at Durham.

If you want any local taxi/mini bus numbers give me a shout. My son is at Uni at Sunderland. Being a student he knows the cheapest firms. I've asked him if he can find out any more info on the transport, e.g. if there is anything special being put on for the game.

We're lucky beacuse we'll be up there in the car.

robsta said:
bainy said:
robsta said:

Durham is virtually the same distance to Sunderland as Newcastle is. Thing is you'll have more time if you get off at Durham.

If you want any local taxi/mini bus numbers give me a shout. My son is at Uni at Sunderland. Being a student he knows the cheapest firms. I've asked him if he can find out any more info on the transport, e.g. if there is anything special being put on for the game.

We're lucky beacuse we'll be up there in the car.

The problem is that its always been a nightmare getting from the A1 side of the region to the A19 side even in a car it can be a mare.

I wondered if it would have been easier getting off at Darlo, flipping over to Boro and then up the way to Sunderland on trains?

Don't know if it helps anyone but Megabus is running on NYD.

I know there is one that runs Manchester - Leeds - M'boro - Sunderland - Newcastle. And same in reverse. Not sure it lets you just to the Newcastle to Sunderland leg though.

There is a very limited service from Darlington to Thornaby / Midlesbrough on New Years day - but nothing from either of those to Sunderland by train. I think if you are intending to come by train the Durham option is probably the best option & try to order a minibus style taxi. Thornaby/Middlesbrough is further from Sunderland as Durham is.

im in same boat, train to newcastle from edinburgh but might end up driving as 40 bucks each way for taxi isnt worth it for me, im going solo, so looks like no beer till i get home

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.