Howard Webb retires

To lose Slurgie, Scholes, Brother Giggs and now Webb to retirement in such a short period must be heartbreaking for the rags. He will not be missed.

Precious+praise+the+lord%2521.gif

Howard Webb has retired as a match referee and has been appointed technical director of the Professional Game Match Officials Limited, the Premier League has announced.

According to a statement released on Wednesday afternoon, Webb will be responsible for overseeing the technical direction and standards that govern the on-field performance of PGMOL’s match officials. He will also “take a public-facing role, informing and educating on refereeing matters” and report to PGMOL General Manager Mike Riley.

“I am very excited to start this new chapter in my career after a wonderfully rewarding 25 years on the pitch,” Webb said. “I have spent over a decade with the best seat in the house for Barclays Premier League matches, been lucky enough to be involved in nine Uefa and Fifa tournaments, and taken charge of the Uefa Champions League and Fifa World Cup finals.

“Refereeing has given me so much and it’s important that match officials who have had the rewards remain in the game to pass on their knowledge. I also have much more to learn about the business of refereeing and the best place for me to do that is with PGMOL. It’s an incredibly positive working environment and we all have a common goal of improving refereeing.”

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.