HR at work putting clauses in my contract

Human Resources are cunts.

Usually made of sociopaths who were bullied at school and now get power trips fucking up people's lives because they feel they can, and in some industries untouchable.

Even industries with strong union presence they'd rather pay millions to US style union busting firms than pay out a few grand to keep staff happy. They see compromise as a loss.

Two months notice rather than one sounds like improved security to me. If they lay you off unpaid can you work temporarily elsewhere, or does the contract forbid that? If it does, that would seem to be an unreasonable restriction.

I was a contractor for years and loved it. Mind I was single at the time so it will be more difficult with a family now. I'm tempted to go back but not sure what the contract market is like at the moment.

The job I've got now is great and close to home with no commute so giving it up is hard. It's also well paid so even going contracting isn't going to boost it too much

beware IR35, contracting/freelance isn't what it was

Thanks all again! Some really good advice.

I contracted for 11 years so know the score, especially around IR35 etc. As I said, I loved it just going to different places, sorting the mess out and moving on. No office politics or having to monthly "personal development" nonsense either. Great to be able to take time off and everywhere I went they all wanted me to stay on as a permie... but then you know you'll end up having to "reach out" to someone to discuss whether someone else deserves a 1.5% or 1.75% pay rise ha ha! No chance! Great money and maybe in a few years I'll go back into it. At the moment though I've got a young family and need to be around.

I've got another "consultation" now with HR and a Director. It's not been escalated apparently, but my boss is too busy to do it so the Director is doing it! Hmm!

My plan, so far, is to reject the clauses on the basis it is weakening my financial position. Firstly because I would be volunteering to have my pay cut if the company is struggling. Secondly, because if I want to leave a 1 month notice period is more valuable to the next employer.

As I said, I don't want to leave they are a good company and I've been looked after really well. The people are great, but this has taken my really by surprise.

Two months notice rather than one sounds like improved security to me. If they lay you off unpaid can you work temporarily elsewhere, or does the contract forbid that? If it does, that would seem to be an unreasonable restriction.
Well, the short time clause is for "tough conditions" and could mean literally anything.

The two clauses together mean that - potentially - I could hand in my notice and then they could then say for the last month I had no work to do. As a result, I would be unpaid as I accepted it. Granted, it's unlikely but handovers don't take 2 months. I've worked with enough weasels over the years that someone could try pulling stunts like this.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.