HS2 The real reason it's needed.

W12

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2809439/High-speed-rail-north-needed-southern-Manchester-United-fans-game-says-project-s-boss.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -boss.html</a>

High speed rail is needed... so Manchester United fans from the south can get back after the game, says the project's boss
David Higgins said people had to 'allow for a full day' to get to Manchester
The HS2 chair said a new £50billion line would slash journey times in half
Said a one-hour journey would mean 'you could get up for a football game'
By TOM MCTAGUE, DEPUTY POLITICAL EDITOR FOR MAILONLINE
PUBLISHED: 11:25, 27 October 2014 | UPDATED: 19:14, 27 October 2014

shares
View comments
A new high speed rail line between London and the north is needed to allow thousands of southern Manchester United fans to get to the game more quickly, the project's boss suggested today.
High Speed 2 chairman Sir David Higgins said the current two hour trip between London and Manchester meant people had to 'allow for a full day' if they wanted to get to Old Trafford.
But he said a new £50billion line would slash journey times in half, adding: 'If you knew guaranteed that a train was going to take an hour to get from London to Manchester you could get up for a football game or for a meeting and be back and save the rest of the day.'
Scroll down for video

David Higgins, the chairman of HS2 Ltd (left), with the Chancellor George Osborne (right), said football fans would be able to get to the game much quicker with a new rail line
Cameron: HS2 is the right project and HS3 is an exciting vision

Mr Higgins' came after he unveiled plans for a new £7billion 'HS3' to improve journeys between northern cities.
Backed by Prime Minister David Cameron and Chancellor George Osborne, HS3 would mean journey times between Leeds and Manchester could almost be cut in half.
Journeys between Leeds and Birmingham, Leeds and Sheffield Meadowhall, York and Birmingham and Nottingham to Birmingham could also be reduced by a half or more, and many more journeys across the country substantially shortened.
RELATED ARTICLES
Previous
Next

Civil servants with just half a day's training drafted in to...

Defence Secretary admits he was 'careless' to claim some...

Revealed: How debt mountain of unpaid council tax is worth...

Ministers give the go-ahead for THIRD high speed rail link:...
SHARE THIS ARTICLE
577 shares
Speaking on BBC Radio 4's Today programme, Sir David said his plans for HS3 were 'a start of a conversation'.
He said: 'This is not just a single project. It's more than the eye-catching journey-time reductions. HS3 will give northern England rail services twice the capacity and much more reliability.'
Phase one of HS2 involves a new high-speed line from Euston in London passing through Tory heartlands in the Chilterns to Birmingham, with Sir David saying today that its completion would be in 2027.

A new high speed rail line between London and Manchester will cost around £50billion

Manchester United fans in the south of England will be able to travel to watch the game in just an hour, Sir David said this morning
Phase two would see the line extended north from Birmingham in a Y-shaped route going to Manchester and Leeds, with Sir David saying this would be completed in 2033 .
The project is strongly supported by the Government but is bitterly opposed by some councils and residents along the phase one route.
Mr Cameron said: 'Improving connectivity and reducing journey times between our great northern cities is a crucial part of our long-term economic plan for the north to boost businesses and create more jobs and security for hard-working people. That's why we are backing HS3.
'I welcome Sir David Higgins' report, which will help our work to create a northern powerhouse and ensure that HS2 delivers the maximum economic benefits.'
Mr Osborne said: 'The vision I set out earlier this year of the northern powerhouse we could build is rapidly taking shape.
'I asked Sir David to look at how we deliver the better transport links across the North that would make a reality of that powerhouse.
'I'm delighted with the rapid response and the report. Today we take another big step forward in delivering both the HS2 links from north to south and the HS3 link across the Pennines.'

Animation of the planned HS2 train in action (archive)

Sir David's report said there was a need to take forward both legs of the proposed HS2 Y-network as the alternatives would not bring the same capacity, connectivity and economic benefits;
For HS3, the journey from Leeds to Manchester could be cut from today's average of more than 55 minutes to somewhere between 26 and 35 minutes and the number of trains could be doubled.
Sir David said: 'Improving connectivity is vital if Britain is to compete in the knowledge economy in which this country has a competitive advantage, but in which ease of travel is an essential element.
'On the back of new transport infrastructure, science investment and civic leadership, we are well on our way to turning the northern powerhouse into reality.'
Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg, Transport Secretary Patrick McLoughlin and Chief Secretary to the Treasury Danny Alexander also welcomed the report, as did House of Commons Transport Committee chairman Louise Ellman.
She said: 'HS2 is important strategic infrastructure but must be linked with improvements in the classic rail network to bring maximum benefit.'

The Rail Delivery Group, representing Network Rail and rail operators, said the report 'underlines how HS2 will become the backbone of Britain's growing railway'.
Stop HS2 campaign manager Joe Rukin said HS3 would be even more expensive per mile than HS2.
He added that Sir David's report 'showed that the original plans for HS2 weren't thought through properly'.
Mr Rukin went on: 'Changing the mess that is phase two doesn't change the fact that phase one is still a complete mess, as is the entire concept of HS2.'
Shadow transport secretary Mary Creagh said: 'Hard-pressed travellers in the North will judge David Cameron on his actions, not words.'
Leaders of councils in northern England welcomed the report, with Keith Wakefield, leader of Leeds City Council, describing HS2 as 'the key to transforming the future economy of Leeds and the north'.
The RMT transport union said it was 'cynical in the extreme that the cheerleaders behind today's announcement are threatening to devastate (northern railway) jobs and services'.

Re: HS2

<a class="postlink-local" href="http://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=304855&start=5820" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=14&t=304855&start=5820</a>

gordondaviesmoustache said:
jimharri said:
http://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=304855&start=5820
Well spotted sheriff ;-)
I posted the relevant post on there, so it wasn't that difficult to remember! Are you in that crowd shot pic in the post match thread in the main forum?

W12 said:
But he said a new £50billion line would slash journey times in half, adding: 'If you knew guaranteed that a train was going to take an hour to get from London to Manchester you could get up for a football game or for a meeting and be back and save the rest of the day.'

Or save the whole day, by not going to see that shower of shite in the first place.

jimharri said:
gordondaviesmoustache said:
jimharri said:
http://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=304855&start=5820
Well spotted sheriff ;-)
I posted the relevant post on there, so it wasn't that difficult to remember! Are you in that crowd shot pic in the post match thread in the main forum?
No that's not me, jim.

Do you think if I looked like that I'd be able to date women ten years younger than me with such regularity? ;-) My wit and brains can only take me so far :-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.