Hughes: 'No-one else could've done as good a job as me'

City lost 8-1 to Middlesbrough the last game before Hughes took over.

Hughes brought Sweep back to City for eight million before the Sheik blessed us with his presence.
The money came in on the first September. Too late for Hughes to start spending. Robihno was purported to demonstrate the intent of the new ownership and foisted on, rather than the choice of Hughes. His first transfer window, notoriously difficult to sign decent players mid-season, he brought in De Jong, Bellamy, Bridge and Shay Given.

In the Summer be brought in Adebayor, Lescott, Barry, Toure and Tevez. At the same time Ireland, Richards were playing superlative football.

When he got sacked on December 21st we had lost two games all season in all competitions; United and Spurs. We were still in all competitions.

In the three weeks before he was sacked we had beaten Chelsea, Arsenal and Sunderland.

Perhaps he had a point.

Funny how you miss all those draws out, the hyper-inflated prices for players that he had no idea how to use, such as RSC; tactics that a child could see through as most managers did, a completely disorganised defence that never made any signs of getting better, long ball and boring football, turning a 4th spot with a few points clear into a 7th spot and a few points behind. Guess that's just selective memory kicking in there.

The facts are very simple. Hughes spent £300m of the owners of the money and delivered a 10th place and was gradually slipping down the table at the time he was sacked.

Imo Hughes was shown up with how quickly bobby sured up our leaky defence. I actually thought he bought great players but had no idea how to organise them. I heard that he never really got involved with the training so maybe he just needed a higher calibre of coaching staff

"I agreed to that because I thought we could overachieve. I thought fifth, possibly fourth was very, very achievable...

"But whenever I've gone into a club, I've tried to overachieve. I don't play down expectations like some managers do."
Does this **** even listen to himself?

Harold said:
City lost 8-1 to Middlesbrough the last game before Hughes took over.

Hughes brought Sweep back to City for eight million before the Sheik blessed us with his presence.
The money came in on the first September. Too late for Hughes to start spending. Robihno was purported to demonstrate the intent of the new ownership and foisted on, rather than the choice of Hughes. His first transfer window, notoriously difficult to sign decent players mid-season, he brought in De Jong, Bellamy, Bridge and Shay Given.

In the Summer be brought in Adebayor, Lescott, Barry, Toure and Tevez. At the same time Ireland, Richards were playing superlative football.

When he got sacked on December 21st we had lost two games all season in all competitions; United and Spurs. We were still in all competitions.

In the three weeks before he was sacked we had beaten Chelsea, Arsenal and Sunderland.

Perhaps he had a point.

You mention that he only signed SWP before the owners money kicked in...

Don't you remember Vincent Kompany... or Pablo Zabaletta? There's another £12m worth...

Damocles said:
Funny how you miss all those draws out, the hyper-inflated prices for players that he had no idea how to use, such as RSC; tactics that a child could see through as most managers did, a completely disorganised defence that never made any signs of getting better, long ball and boring football, turning a 4th spot with a few points clear into a 7th spot and a few points behind. Guess that's just selective memory kicking in there.

The facts are very simple. Hughes spent £300m of the owners of the money and delivered a 10th place and was gradually slipping down the table at the time he was sacked.

Spot on for me. As i've said before people keep telling us how when Hughes left he left us in 6th position and Mancini only took us to 5th which was only one place more but it's not as simple as that because we were slowly but surely slipping further and further down the table after a run of draws and an inability to win two games on the bounce

Hughes also revealed that he was keen to join Fulham to return to direct management after some of his powers were taken away from him at the City of Manchester Stadium.

“On some occasions at City players were presented to me which I didn’t really have a direct input on. But if you get a call and someone says 'Would you like Robinho?’ then, as a manager, I have to say 'Yes I would’.

“Whether a situation like that was correct in terms of timing, that’s open to debate.

“People always quote my record in terms of spending at Man City but I don’t always understand that. The amounts paid were not directly influenced by me.

So there you have it boys and girls, the sheikh must have wanted superstars roque, bridge, kolo and co and just paid ridiculous amounts of sums to bring them in. It was all none of Hughes' responsiblity at all

Jack74 said:
Under Sven we finished 9th in his 1st Season and he was sacked, Hughes comes in and spends over 75 million and we finish 10th

Fuck off Hughes u loved them that much u played for them twice

MCFC OK
It was more like £120 million.

The Fat el Hombre said:
Hughes also revealed that he was keen to join Fulham to return to direct management after some of his powers were taken away from him at the City of Manchester Stadium.

“On some occasions at City players were presented to me which I didn’t really have a direct input on. But if you get a call and someone says 'Would you like Robinho?’ then, as a manager, I have to say 'Yes I would’.

“Whether a situation like that was correct in terms of timing, that’s open to debate.

“People always quote my record in terms of spending at Man City but I don’t always understand that. The amounts paid were not directly influenced by me.

So there you have it boys and girls, the sheikh must have wanted superstars roque, bridge, kolo and co and just paid ridiculous amounts of sums to bring them in. It was all none of Hughes' responsiblity at all
Do you think Hughes decided to pay £32m for Robinho, or to put it more bluntly, do you think he wanted Robinho at all? Pro rata, Robinho has been the worst signing in the clubs history in my opinion, especially when we take the inevitible loss we will have to take. That wasn't Hughes' fault, so who's fault was that? Who decided paying £32m for a player who didn't even want to come to us was a good idea? I don't see that person getting slated. Hughes has said he had no say in the price paid for the players. Clubs WILL charge us OTT for any player we go for.

Pigeonho said:
The Fat el Hombre said:
Do you think Hughes decided to pay £32m for Robinho, or to put it more bluntly, do you think he wanted Robinho at all? Pro rata, Robinho has been the worst signing in the clubs history in my opinion, especially when we take the inevitible loss we will have to take. That wasn't Hughes' fault, so who's fault was that? Who decided paying £32m for a player who didn't even want to come to us was a good idea? I don't see that person getting slated. Hughes has said he had no say in the price paid for the players. Clubs WILL charge us OTT for any player we go for.

Big wow, he got one player forced opon him, 2 including Jo, my heart bleeds for him. The rest of the time he got to bring in whoever the fuck he wanted at whatever price, something most other managers can only dream of. He signed a whole fucking team for well over £100 million and now he's got the cheek to whinge about it? Shameful

Do you think signing roque, kolo, bridge, lescott etc were the Sheikhs decisions?

Do you think the sheikh and co would rather have looked abroad for better players and better value? Or were they effectively forced into paying huge sums for these players because they backed the manager and the very narrow minded manager chose only to entertain the prospect of signing 'prem proven' players?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.