Hyde Road Stadium

Lovebitesandeveryfing

I'm well aware that there is currently a thread discussing the housing development on the old site, but this has a somewhat different orientation. Mods, feel free to merge if appropriate.

Since it is now a century this year since we left, it seems worth marking it in some way (if only on here: I don't expect the suits in charge of communications at the Etihad to give much of a toss, frankly).
Firstly, I located it exactly this morning. To my shame, I didn't know exactly where it was, other than that it was, obviously, along the Hyde Road. I see with interest that although our old Maine Road ground and the current one have almost exactly the same orientation — north to south, if you're going by the placing of the goals — the old Hyde Road stadium, as far as I can make out, had a west to east orientation. For reasons that I can't explain, that seems just wrong to me! As I say, no logic to my reaction…
The closest I came to frequenting that area when I lived in Manchester was going to several fine concerts at Belle Vue — Deep Purple and the Stones come to mind. Otherwise never had any real reason to be around there. Never got to see the grease in the hair of the speedway operator, I'm afraid…!
Got a couple of questions. I take it that there is nothing whatsoever, not even so much as a plaque, marking the fact that there was a football stadium there, and for many years at that? I'm always a bit shocked about how places as vital as football stadia — not just important in this local instance to me as a City fan, but important in terms of the actual social history of the country in the late Victorian and Edwardian period, and specifically the industrial working class with its new found leisure on Saturday afternoons — can get not just demolished but then downright airbrushed out of history. When you think of standing on those terraces and how for many of us it was where you used to dream (sometimes when there weren't too many other places to dream in your life), well, it seems like a piece of cultural vandalism to me.
Anyway, other questions. Anyone on here got any memories via either their dad or, more likely, their granddad about Hyde Road?
The other thing I was wondering. I see that there's a CofE primary school very close by — Armitage — if not actually on the site of the old stadium. Anyone on here go to that primary school, by any chance? Or just grow up in the area of Ardwick, West Gorton? I take it that the area must have always been fairly solidly blue, although perhaps less so in the dark years of United's dominance?

I'm well aware that there is currently a thread discussing the housing development on the old site, but this has a somewhat different orientation. Mods, feel free to merge if appropriate.

Since it is now a century this year since we left, it seems worth marking it in some way (if only on here: I don't expect the suits in charge of communications at the Etihad to give much of a toss, frankly).
Firstly, I located it exactly this morning. To my shame, I didn't know exactly where it was, other than that it was, obviously, along the Hyde Road. I see with interest that although our old Maine Road ground and the current one have almost exactly the same orientation — north to south, if you're going by the placing of the goals — the old Hyde Road stadium, as far as I can make out, had a west to east orientation. For reasons that I can't explain, that seems just wrong to me! As I say, no logic to my reaction…
The closest I came to frequenting that area when I lived in Manchester was going to several fine concerts at Belle Vue — Deep Purple and the Stones come to mind. Otherwise never had any real reason to be around there. Never got to see the grease in the hair of the speedway operator, I'm afraid…!
Got a couple of questions. I take it that there is nothing whatsoever, not even so much as a plaque, marking the fact that there was a football stadium there, and for many years at that? I'm always a bit shocked about how places as vital as football stadia — not just important in this local instance to me as a City fan, but important in terms of the actual social history of the country in the late Victorian and Edwardian period, and specifically the industrial working class with its new found leisure on Saturday afternoons — can get not just demolished but then downright airbrushed out of history. When you think of standing on those terraces and how for many of us it was where you used to dream (sometimes when there weren't too many other places to dream in your life), well, it seems like a piece of cultural vandalism to me.
Anyway, other questions. Anyone on here got any memories via either their dad or, more likely, their granddad about Hyde Road?
The other thing I was wondering. I see that there's a CofE primary school very close by — Armitage — if not actually on the site of the old stadium. Anyone on here go to that primary school, by any chance? Or just grow up in the area of Ardwick, West Gorton? I take it that the area must have always been fairly solidly blue, although perhaps less so in the dark years of United's dominance?
My grandad was born in Ardwick in 1899 & started going to watch city when he was aged 7, used to tell me about how a lot of the young lads used to stand in "kids corner"?
He used to tell me a lot of stories about watching city, going to the first game at Maine Road, The record crowd V Stoke, Max Woosnam etc but sadly I was really to young to take it all in, just wish I could go back & talk to him again,
I think a lot of the recruits for the first world war enlisted at the "City Gates" or "Hyde Road Hotel" as it would have been at the time.

The pitch ran east - west as it would not have fitted in going north - south because of the railway lines surrounding it.
As you can see by the map below, it is the only way the pitch could fit in. As it was, the ground had to be built around a small train line going into the nearby factory and crossed through the ground between the pitch and the Boys Section terracing.

FB_IMG_1679832301949.jpg

Last edited:

Did you take any photos, I would like to visit the exact site of the ground but don't know EXACTLY where ?

Did you take any photos, I would like to visit the exact site of the ground but don't know EXACTLY where ?
Go along Hyde Road to the junction with Bennett Street near where the railway crosses Hyde Road.
At that junction, the little bit of spare land is where the Hyde Road Hotel / City Gates pub was.
Turn onto Bennett Street and as soon as you go under the railway bridge the ground was on the left.
See the map I posted above your post

My wife is originally from that area, Hayfield Street to be precise.
Although the house she lived in has long been demolished,her family moved to Burnage when she was about 6 years old(1964).
Although her older sister, born in 1950 knew all about the old Hyde Road ground and helped me locate Hayfield Street on one of the old maps in Gary James book about City.

No remnants of the stadium remain at the site - not even a Blue plaque commemorating the spot. However, one piece of the ground survived into the 21st century! Part of the roof at Halifax Town's Shay Stadium, was the original roof at Hyde Road ( picture below from 2006 - the piece of roofing at the far left)
I don't know if that stand / roof has been replaced since.
FB_IMG_1679831176700.jpg

No remnants of the stadium remain at the site - not even a Blue plaque commemorating the spot. However, one piece of the ground survived into the 21st century! Part of the roof at Halifax Town's Shay Stadium, was the original roof at Hyde Road ( picture below from 2006 - the piece of roofing at the far left)
I don't know if that stand / roof has been replaced since.
View attachment 73141
Bloody Hell Phil, just seeing Halifax Town mentioned on a City forum sends shivers of horror down my spine.
That FA Cup game in 1980 was one of my lowest points supporting City.

The pitch ran east - west as it would not have fitted in going north - south because of the railway lines surrounding it.
As you can see by the map below, it is the only way the pitch could fit in. As it was, the ground had to be built around a small train line going into the nearby factory and crossed through the ground between the pitch and the Boys Section terracing.

View attachment 73144

Yep, it was really shoehorned in. I didn't pay close enough attention to those works lines on the old OS map.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.