Hyde Road Stadium

Did you take any photos, I would like to visit the exact site of the ground but don't know EXACTLY where ?

Go along Hyde Road to the junction with Bennett Street near where the railway crosses Hyde Road.
At that junction, the little bit of spare land is where the Hyde Road Hotel / City Gates pub was.
Turn onto Bennett Street and as soon as you go under the railway bridge the ground was on the left.
See the map I posted above your post

I think he was taking the piss a bit! True, three uses of the word “exactly” in my second para is two too many. Should have edited and tried to express myself more exactly… with more precision.

When you see the track system around the ground you can see why they had to move. There was no chance of building a place with the ambition of Maine Road. And I guess that was why it wasn't really marked as an historical site. It was a stepping stone onto somewhere else and then became a tram/bus depot - also important from a social history point of view but also not celebrated.

In the late 60''s early 70's my Dad used to organise Van driver skills tests. On a couple of occasions I can remember going with him to a skid pan and watching vans sliding around. I have this picture of a place near to railway arches. I thought it was out in the country somewhere - but having seen the pictures of the other thread I now wonder if they used the skid pan on the Hyde Road site. Might not have been but should be some ex-bus drivers who practiced how to control a bus in slippy conditions.

When you see the track system around the ground you can see why they had to move. There was no chance of building a place with the ambition of Maine Road. And I guess that was why it wasn't really marked as an historical site. It was a stepping stone onto somewhere else and then became a tram/bus depot - also important from a social history point of view but also not celebrated.

In the late 60''s early 70's my Dad used to organise Van driver skills tests. On a couple of occasions I can remember going with him to a skid pan and watching vans sliding around. I have this picture of a place near to railway arches. I thought it was out in the country somewhere - but having seen the pictures of the other thread I now wonder if they used the skid pan on the Hyde Road site. Might not have been but should be some ex-bus drivers who practiced how to control a bus in slippy conditions.
In one of the "On The Buses" films, Reg Varney takes Blakey out on a skid pan and has him being thrown around all over the bus,as Reg puts the London bus through it's paces on the skid pan.
However it's not Hyde Road, the London Transport bus training ground/skid pan was at North Weald airfield in those days. I went on a couple of truck comparison courses there in 1978 so I am familiar with the place.

No I wasn't taking the **** I thought you might have taken a photo of the site now

Ah! Wasn't blaming you, by the way. I did use the word three times in about two sentences. Usually, my vocabulary's a bit more extensive than that.
Don't live in Manchester and haven't done for a long, long time. However, I am over for the Arsenal game. And have the whole day to play around in. Just might make the pilgrimage to that site and mosey around, to see what's left. And take a photo (or a few), which I'll duly post on here…

My Dad used to tell us of going to the Hyde Road stadium and of having to interrupt the game for the train passing by. We managed to take him to the England v Iceland game at the Etihad so he had visited all three of City's grounds. Probably my great grandfather played there.

Ah! Wasn't blaming you, by the way. I did use the word three times in about two sentences. Usually, my vocabulary's a bit more extensive than that.
Don't live in Manchester and haven't done for a long, long time. However, I am over for the Arsenal game. And have the whole day to play around in. Just might make the pilgrimage to that site and mosey around, to see what's left. And take a photo (or a few), which I'll duly post on here…
Cheers mate

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.